60g start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trigger95

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just started a 60gal FOWLR at the moment I have only 2 clownish and 1 hermit crab in there it's been running fine for around a month maybe 2 and all of a sudden ive been getting lots of green algae shall I just wait for this to go on its own or do something about ? Thanks

Hi. Welcome to the forum!

What type of lighting do you have and what are the hours it's on? Do you use ro/di water? And what's your feeding schedule and how often do you do water changes and how much do you take out?

Just a few questions so we all can see what youre dealing with. :)

4 T'8s 1/4 water change once a month and water perimeters are fine ?

Algae is most likely happening because of the water. :-( Most people try to use ro/di water as it doesnt have the nutrients like nitrates and phosphtes that tap water has.

Can you get water from your lfs maybe? Mine charges 50 cents a gallon and I even used the water machines you find at supermarkets for water, they generally charge 30 cents a gallon.

Another cheaper in thelong run option is to get your own unit to make water. I have this unit:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It's portable so you can hook it up to your sink or to a garden hose like I do. Just an option. Otherwise youre doing what you have to as far as lighting and feeding.

You might want to test your tap water for nitrates and phosphates just to see what you are putting into the tank.
:-D

Ok I do normally have water from my lfs but tried it my way so I'll just start getting it from the shop again

And will the algae just diss appear ?

As long as you don't overfeed adn start using ro/di water again it should subside. :) It will take a few water changes to start to see a difference.

I would start pulling up what you can by hand and siphoning out as much as you can at your next water change. In fact, I would do a couple water changes over the next week or two and see if you can't get ahead of the algae. You've got quite a bit there. :)

Back
Top Bottom