60gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vvjosh06

Aquarium Advice Regular
So this is just an idea but I have a 60gal fresh im looking to turn into a saltwater reef. I dont have a lot of money so I priced what I wanted out and this is the setup I would put together.

120lbs of live sand
90lbs of live rock
Koralia 1150 wavemaker
Current marine led lighting
Ultra g 190 canister along side my jbj ef35
Seaclone hangon protein skimmer.

I know its best to run a sump but do to budget and what ive read it personal preference. The 2 canister filters will turn over 10x my tank. 2x my tank in live sand. Protein skimmer rated for a 100gal tank. 1.5 live rock per gal. Tell me what yall think. Any suggestions? What you would/wouldnt do? Change anything? All in all the list would cost around 1200$

So this is just an idea but I have a 60gal fresh im looking to turn into a saltwater reef. I dont have a lot of money so I priced what I wanted out and this is the setup I would put together.

120lbs of live sand
90lbs of live rock
Koralia 1150 wavemaker
Current marine led lighting
Ultra g 190 canister along side my jbj ef35
Seaclone hangon protein skimmer.

I know its best to run a sump but do to budget and what ive read it personal preference. The 2 canister filters will turn over 10x my tank. 2x my tank in live sand. Protein skimmer rated for a 100gal tank. 1.5 live rock per gal. Tell me what yall think. Any suggestions? What you would/wouldnt do? Change anything? All in all the list would cost around 1200$

Those sea clone skimmers suck a lot...I'd use 2 smaller koralias like the 650 or whatever the 600 some gph one is. You don't need 120 lbs of sand. 60-70 lbs would be fine. Those canisters will need to be cleaned a lot. I'd just do the sump as it wouldn't be much more to get a hob overflow. But that's just my opinion. On lights is use one eBay 120 watt dimmable fixture over the orbit. Especially on a deep tank. The orbit will only grow softies and some lps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What skimmer would you suggest? And the reason I havent priced sump is because I gotta buy a better cabinet. Right now theres not enough room for a sump plus all the cords and such

I like reef octopus, eshopps, bubble Magnus might make a hob.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would just do a sump also.. Even tho I'm just running canister.. I'm upgrading my tank soon so I was just doing it this way.. For a sump you could do a 20-30 gallon for your size tank.. A sale is going on at petco a dollar per gallon so you will just be looking at 30 bucks for the tank.. You can add sections to it with acrylic sheets if you like.. You can get a pump and overflow from amazon should be that much.. I'll have to repost the info for ya.. Also you can make your own overflow.. Very cheap, easy and effective using PVC pipes.. There are plenty videos on YouTube taking you step by step.. I think a eshopps protein skimmer will do good for you.. I would go with the one for the 100g almost doubling you tank need..

Shark~King

I got one of these 5 stage wet/dry upright sumps with built in skimmer and auto fill
never seen water sparkle like this keeps all my parameters in check , it's the size of a computer CPU ,everything comes apart easy for cleaning , I changed out the bio balls with rock rubble , I did just up grade the return pump from 700gph to 1200gph
I also run my 90gtank and 37g in sequence took some work getting the 37 bottom tank to function right but now that its primed it's great,
pump don't work any harder an handles the water flowing through it
I also added a small led strip inside one of the compartment buckets so I could grow macro's, the one thing I did swap out as soon as I got it was the hoses as they are a hard plastic like a vacuum hose , they would have split open in about 2 weeks as cheap as they were , but otherwise a nice all in 1 sump at a affordable price .
cleanings is a breeze as you can take the sump tub out

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=fish+tank+wet%2Fdry+filters+with+auto+fill&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

Back
Top Bottom