60L Nano Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisshboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, iv recently got a 60L tank complete with a Marina s15 HOB filter I'm thinking of turning to marine setup, my question is could i just use the HOB filter and a nano skimmer with sand or it a must to have live rock? And also what kind of stock could i have in a tank this big?

Thanks in advance

Personally I would say you need live rock, the live rock is a great place for the bacteria to breed which turns all the ammonia in the tank (produced by fish and other creatures pooping) in nitrates the skimmer will then take these nitrates out of the water (not on big enough scale to do no water changes though). peronally though you would not need the filter and if you do use it especially in a small tank you will need to ensure its very well maintained and cleaned as if not it can turn into a nitrates factory and in a small tank this could make big difference.

Rock is helpful in that like said previously, it adds a place for BB to grow. Strictly speaking, though, it's not required. BB will grow on whatever surfaces you have in the tank: sand, filter media, Decorations, plants, etc. Yours would be a fish only tank if there's no LR. You will need to put something in the tank for the fish to hide in or behind, though. If the fish can't ever hide, they'll get stressed out and can get sick and die.

If i was to get rock and sand thats been out of water and no longer live would i do i fishless cycle same as freshwater to make it all live? Or is it done some other way?

Just put a raw shrimp or piece of raw fish in a tied off pantyhose and toss it in the tank and let it rot. Test ammo, nitrite and nitrate daily. It'll take a couple weeks probably, but when ammo and Trites spike and go back to zero, your tank is cycled. Then so a PWC and add livestock. Test daily, though, so you can see the spike. It's best if ammo gets up to at least 4 ppm.

Yeah iv cycled a few tanks using this method but putting in dosing pure ammonia between 4/5 ppm and testing everyday thanks for your help

Sorry i was also meaning to ask if i do put rock in thats never been live can i use the stuff sold as
Ocean rock thats white and i presume is man made ?

Liquid ammonia works too. :) I used that on one of my tanks. The white rock is fine to use. It'll become live soon enough. Good luck!

Stock wise for this too I'd maybe look at gobies, firefish jawfish, you could maybe get away with one of the smaller anglers but it would be on its own or I saw on live aquaria about a Pygmy wrasse which could be cool

Been thinking my 60L with 15kg of live rock 2 powerheads one either side pointing into the rock and a TMC V2 80 nano skimmer along with my HOB.

Stock would be 2 clown fish and a starfish does this sound reasonable ?

I might be wrong, but I think 60L is about 15g. 2 clowns in a 15g tank wouldn't be ideal IMO. There are other very cute and colorful fish that would work though. A Firefish (either purple or red), some of the smaller blennies, and clown goby, just to name a few. If you're very good about weekly PWCs, you could do 3 nano fish in there. I would do 2 fish if you're not so good about weekly pwcs. Check liveaquaria.com and look in the SW nano fish section.

I have 2 tropical and a cold water tank that im very strict with i do 20% water change twice a week every week. My other question was about keeping water salinity correct, my LFS sells pre mixed saltwater that id use for water changes could i just keep topping up with normal RO water to compensate for evaporation then do a straight change with the saltwater to keep salinity correct or would it change?

I have 2 tropical and a cold water tank that im very strict with i do 20% water change twice a week every week. My other question was about keeping water salinity correct, my LFS sells pre mixed saltwater that id use for water changes could i just keep topping up with normal RO water to compensate for evaporation then do a straight change with the saltwater to keep salinity correct or would it change?

That's the right way to do it: top offs with RO, PWCs with SW.

Back
Top Bottom