Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I assume you've done the research to know what a monumental undertaking this will be so I certainly won't try to dissuade you.
Don't count on weight to anchor your rocks. Drill them and connect them with acrylic rods to secure them together. Octopi (languages change. Regardless of the origin, this is the most accepted plural today. But good for knowing the etymology!!!) are incredibly strong and agile. They can topple rocks you would expect to be far too heavy.
They are also incredibly intelligent and an argument could be made for sentience. Not only will your tank need a nearly airtight lid, the overflow will also need to be escape proof. I'd suggest a screen rather than traditional slits for the overflow. It will need to be cleaned daily, I imagine, to avoid clogging.
In addition, once the octopus is acclimated and used to your presence, it will need a lot of gentle interaction to avoid boredom and depression. Toys and mirrors may also help.
As for macro algae, go for easy and fast growing types. Caleurpa, chaetomorpha, etc. as these will also provide supplemental filtration.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeffanman View Post
Too bad they don't cater to Canadians to be honest I don't know any online site that does.

Well I goes I should get my carpenter hands together and build me a stand. Maybe next week ill have a free day
Where do you plan to get your octopus?

Old 12-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ill order it in I'm fortunate enough to have 6 Lfs in this city and a few will bring one in when I'm ready for it
Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
Tkh
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Very cool project, I hope to eventually become confident enough to do something similar... Long term plans, lol.

What kind of octopus are you planning on getting? Have you planned what kind of toys / interactive elements you will provide? Octopuses/podes/pi are easily my favorite marine animal hands down... Very cool project, so good luck!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have not decided on a specific species. I'm still trying to figure out a design for a stand. I was thinking along the lines of these stretched taller, where the middle shelf is would be where my refugium will sit

Name:   image-1847272665.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  46.9 KB
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did drill the holes for my bulkhead and pieced together an overflow box. I picked up a bucket of instant ocean for 24.99 at the big Al's Boxing Day sale. Can't shake a stick at that price
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh I like that stand! Are you building it yourself?
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm gunna try to build somthing similar
Old 12-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok finally got to work on the stand I went with 1x2 pine to build a frame. From here I will skin it with the nicest hardwood that I can afford. Hopefully I can do walnut.

I have a buddy who is a carpenter. He can find me the wood cheaper than lowes or Home Depot. I really don't what to spend 300$+. Just on wood.

I know it looks flimsy, but it's actually fairly sturdy. And once I get somthing nice of top of all that it will be plenty solid I'm not worried at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2239695133.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	140149

I'm going with a no front access to the sump. I will have doors on either side that will open

Tags
build, octopus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com