65g bow front going salt :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J19Reynolds

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am turning my tank into a Sw tank now.... I have already added the water & live Rick from my year old 55g tank... I also took the exhausting filter sponge from my older rank n put it in the filter for the new one to help the cycling go faster... The filter has been going a day now. I checked the water this morning and all ate where should be but the ammonia it's 0.25-0.50 I couldn't tell which one it was for sure... Is this my spike I need? Or will it go away n then come back for the right spike up? It was longer than this on my other one but I started from nothing so just thought if ask everyone's opinion :)

This live rock you added, was it from a running tank? If so, you might not get a full cycle because that rock has already cycled. You might just be seeing a small spike from disrupting things a bit.

Does it need a full cycle then? N if so what should I do to make it right? This one I want to have corals so I want it done right

I would just wait about a week to make sure the ammonia has subsided. if you kept the rock submerged until it was transferred, you probably won't get much of a cycle. You will get a diatom bloom on the new surfaces, but that should be about it.

It was out of water maybe 2 mins that was it.. If I got more live rock from my lfs would that cause it to show a big cycle or shouldn't harm anything

This is all the live rock I have in it now... I want it to go all way to the top... So should I do that now or can I do it slowly here n there?
image-2050799429.jpg

I would do it now, but I would get all of the rock you want and cycle it in a separate container. If you add that much rock to the tank, it will have to be cycled again and many creatures you have living on your existing rock will die.
Just get a heater and a power head and use a rubbermaid tub from walmart. 3 to 4 weeks and then you can add it safely.

No. It simply needs a place to cycle. There is no reason to filter the water because you want all those nutrients to fuel the cycle. The more ammonia that is created, the stronger the bacteria colony you'll have at the end.

Back
Top Bottom