70 gallon soft reef (for now) bulid.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I decided to rearrange some of the top rocks to give it some more swim throughs. Now we're back to a sand storm in tank, but I guess it's better to do now while cycling than once fish are in. I am having major issues with sump pumping right amount. I either push ball valve to far and it doesn't pump enough or it jumps back to far and pumps to fast.i wish I had got mag 7 instead of 9. I've been to scared to leave it on at night bc I'm scared it will either overfill or run dry. :(

Lindsay1718 said:
Well I decided to rearrange some of the top rocks to give it some more swim throughs. Now we're back to a sand storm in tank, but I guess it's better to do now while cycling than once fish are in. I am having major issues with sump pumping right amount. I either push ball valve to far and it doesn't pump enough or it jumps back to far and pumps to fast.i wish I had got mag 7 instead of 9. I've been to scared to leave it on at night bc I'm scared it will either overfill or run dry. :(

You can set up your pump so you can divert part of the water back to the beginning of your sump which will eliminate back pressure on the pump and it will filter your water more since a percentage of your return will go straight back to the beginning of your sump.

Have a valve to control the flow going into a Y fitting. One side will be your return the other side would send water back to the sump so the more open your extra pipe is the less water that'll travel to the tank. I know there are some plumbing experts on here that could give you a detailed design and correct terminology so where you guys at! Lol

Ok so I think I got it by cutting the other ball valve down too. I'm gonna let it run all day to make sure it stays level. I was wondering all the
sand/dust that settled in sump, will it hurt protein skimmer and pump once I cut it on?

image-3129219122.jpg

Ok so I ran out of ammonia test so I have to wait for hubby to get here to check levels. I rearranged rocks yesterday and there a lot more swim throughs and caves but I'm not sure I like the arrangement as much. Thoughts, opinions?

image-3137164793.jpg

image-1112062086.jpg

image-3663740978.jpg

image-1603567652.jpg

Honestly I'm not a very big fan of it. Mainly I think you need to utilize the branch like piece more to give a nice pillar, arch, or bridge with it. Also vary the height a bit more with maybe even a "cove" in the middle to give it more depth.

Edit* the large rock on top looks more suitable for a base rock too :)

Yeah that's what I should have done to begin with but once I start moving everything it gets cloudy and I can't see. I'll try again. I really don't want to move base rocks bc they are in sand and I don't want them on top of sand. Where should I put y shaped rock? How does this look?

image-3146884292.jpg

image-670971453.jpg

image-213783907.jpg

Ok I did it again, I think I'm gonna have to wait till tomorrow to change anymore as its getting to cloudy. I used my freshwater master kit against the saltwater chart( I didn't realize I could do that)
And got
Ammonia 4
Nitrite .25
Nitrate 20
pH 8.5

image-2641601306.jpg

image-1803996678.jpg

image-1111280190.jpg

Attachments

• image-4232980850.jpg
    image-4232980850.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 60
  • image-2567230724.jpg
    image-2567230724.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2609072399.jpg
    image-2609072399.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 61
So I am keeping my cycling going but everything else is on hold due to our renters moving out. We need to save every penny so that we have the extra mortgage payment. I will keep everyone updated.

Ok we'll my tank has been cycled for a while I need to top off and do a water change and I will add my first fish. Well my husband needs to fix a small drip coming from return pump but I have re scaped 100 times and am kinda burnt out...I have decided I am just not good at it. Here's my final look. Any thoughts? Ideas?

image-1310143104.jpg

image-2470698791.jpg

image-1167533966.jpg

image-4145129232.jpg

Ok we'll my tank has been cycled for a while I need to top off and do a water change and I will add my first fish. Well my husband needs to fix a small drip coming from return pump but I have re scaped 100 times and am kinda burnt out...I have decided I am just not good at it. Here's my final look. Any thoughts? Ideas?

Don't sell yourself short, it looks pretty good to me. Remember, it's all about what you like. Having open space on both sides. And in the middle will allow the water to flow through your scape. Later down the road, you can always build off of what you have to keep things interesting for yourself. I say nice job!

Thanks. Ok do my husband is fixing the drip this week but I've started to get some algae so I was wondering if a small CUC would be ok in a tank running with out sump. I can't let sump run until the drip is fixed. I was thinking in a 70 gallon tank they would be fine for a week, since they have such a low bio load. Any thoughts? Also my tank is cycled to 8ppm in 24hrs without sump. So I am pretty sure it should be fine but I wanted to here some more experienced opinions. Thanks.
Also any suggestions on a good small CUC to start with.
Lindsay

Back
Top Bottom