Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1718 View Post
So i can't let the sump fill with ro/di water and just add the amount of salt for the tank and sump to DT and just drain some when putting in rock and sand?If I can t then I'll have to stop water soon so it does not go down drain, my tank is drilled, and how will I know how much water is in the tank if not full?
Sorry I wasn't really thinking straight...your way is definitely better, so add all the water then mix salt in DT. Also, estimate! If it's 3/4 way full then there's about 50 gallons meaning you need to make 20 gallons more water plus how much volume there is in the sump. Did you check for leaks in plumbing yet?

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

No I haven't I wasn't sure how to do it, I had planned to slowly undo my ball valve going to skimmer first and shut ball valve if it leaked. Not sure how to on return. I doubt they will my husband did it and he's pretty good at it. So let me understand, I **** my ball valves last night and it is now almost full except an inch. Where do I go from here? Should I just fill it all the way mix salt for both and then open valves an fill the rest of way with ro/di then take some out when getting ready to add? Thanks.

Lindsay

Old 10-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1718
No I haven't I wasn't sure how to do it, I had planned to slowly undo my ball valve going to skimmer first and shut ball valve if it leaked. Not sure how to on return. I doubt they will my husband did it and he's pretty good at it. So let me understand, I **** my ball valves last night and it is now almost full except an inch. Where do I go from here? Should I just fill it all the way mix salt for both and then open valves an fill the rest of way with ro/di then take some out when getting ready to add? Thanks.

Lindsay
I meant I closed my ball valves.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I meant closed my ball valves.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's my tank filled, I'm letting water heat up a bit before adding salt. My hubby drove off with salt mix to work so I gotta wait till later to add salt. Still need to know if above way will be ok to do it. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2087814071.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	126060
Old 10-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Name:	image-59540746.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	126061

Here's my 60 lbs of live rock I picked up yesterday, has purple coraline and hairy mushrooms and some polyps. Can't wait to get it in the tank. I will add some base rock next month but am tapped out till then. Prices add up quickly.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1718

Lindsay
Anyone? I mixed some of the salt in DT but I didn't leave enough room so I'm going to let dissolve then add some more or should I just let some down in sump now so I can finish adding salt?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I added salt yesterday and checked salinity today and it is way to salty! It is above 1.028 specific gravity and above 38 ppt salinity. Should I drain some and add ro/di. I ordered a refractometer but only have a hydrometer for now. Here's a pic if results. I only added 30 cups wich is amount for 70 gallons I was going to just drain water in to sump to give enough room to add rock/sand so it should be correct for amount in tank. Please input soon do I can get this taken care of.

Name:	image-3632080741.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	126312
Old 10-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your salinity may be higher then that your hydrometer is not full and the needle is at the surface but all you need to do is add Ro/Di water until your at the correct salinity and if you need to take water out then that's what you gotta do
Old 10-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

And is your sump running? If not the amount of water in your plumbing may free up enough room to add your Ro/Di to adjust your salinity enough.

Tags
reef, soft

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com