Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am constantly getting different answers. That's what I thought and asked if I should start running before cycle was done and was told no. I figured since it needed to break in it wouldn't pull the stuff out, but was still told not to use till after cycle. Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just checked bc it is 1/2 way filled back up and it's still reading the same. I checked the hydrometer against tap and a small batch of saltwater and test fine. I'm not sure what to do shouldn't it be going down. Should I let some down in sump? So I can keep adding water? Please help. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1167016378.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	126331

Old 10-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like I said the top of your needle is reaching the surface of the water so you are off the charts.. you could take out one gallon and then figure how much Ro/Di it takes to get the 1 gallon correct. Then do the same to your tank.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks I let my 1st compartment fill up in sump so I have more room, I will try to get it to low end of salinity then let it all mix together so it should be right. I can't imagine why it did this, I followed directions exactly.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wait so some of your sump is still empty? Turn your system on as if its running normally to fill up with water cause if not your just gonna have to make another batch of water just to add for the sump volume when you do so better now while its one body of water.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

I only allowed it to fill the first compartment and bubble trap, I figure when I fill it back up and get salinity right, I'll let rest of sump fill and start running I will still need room to add rock/sand so I don't need it filled all the way with sump until after I get stuff in, right? I am sorry I'm not that good at the math portion of this. I'm kinda confused can you explain a little better.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would run the sump that way you don't end up being a little short on water causing you to have to mix up some more.. its easier to take water out then it is to put water in but if you feel the plumbing and sump being empty will leave you enough room for rock and sand displacement then go for it there's no wrong way really just trying to help you avoid a couple steps possibly. The main reason I would fill your sump though is so you have plenty of room to add Ro/Di cause pouring good saltwater down the drain is wasteful and costly sometimes lol
Old 10-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, the problem I ran into is bc my tank is drilled so when it ran down past bulkhead it quit filling sump. Any suggestions?

Lindsay
Old 10-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Add some Ro/Di which will lower your salinity and bring your water level up. Keep doing this until you either corrected your salinity or ran out of room for water which in that case drain a little and add some more Ro/Di... Don't sweat it though the first fill up can be a headache since your making so much freakin water lol
Old 10-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yep, that's what I am doing draining more in sump it's filled refugium about 1/4 way so hopefully it will fill up, I just checked again and it's still off the charts, why would it be that high following directions?

Tags
reef, soft

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com