70 gallon soft reef (for now) bulid.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsay1718

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,
I have had dozens of threads about this tank so I figured I'd put everything in one spot. I got this for trade for an jogging stroller I hadn't used in a year. It had some scratches (acrylic) and the stand had been painted black, it's solid oak. So I started by stripping black paint and staining the stand/canopy red mahogany. Sorry no before pics. I then started sanding tank, boy was that
a head ache I couldn't get it to clear up so I had to start sanding process over again. I finally, a month later, finished that and then built sump, thanks to my hubby. Now and finally filling it with ro/di water as we speak. I pick up 60 lbs of live rock today and already have 80 lbs of live bahama oolite sand waiting to go in. I'm wondering how do you calculate how much salt to put in bc it won't be 70 gallons once rock and sand are in. Do I mix in full tank and sump then remove some water to add extras? I have a 20 gallon long sump/refigium with 9" baffles. I would imagine its probably 10 gallons of water, right? Also do I mix in tank and just let salt mix as it passes through sump? Thanks any pointers would be great! Here are pics of the tank along the process up till now. Will keep updating as I go.

Hers how cloudy tank was

image-3271404160.jpg

image-853783086.jpg

image-352180661.jpg

image-352180661.jpg

image-134942289.jpg

image-412515891.jpg

image-3952277774.jpg

image-1369180365.jpg

image-2303055884.jpg

Also, I know not to use my protein skimmer during cycle but it's brand new and needs time to break in so when should I start it?

Lindsay1718 said:
Also, I know not to use my protein skimmer during cycle but it's brand new and needs time to break in so when should I start it?

Start it after the cycle, it should only take about a week or so to break in.

Take a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with RO/DI water. Add appropriate amount of salt and mix with a power head and put a heater in to temp match.

I aerate the 5 gallon bucket for hours before testing it and checking temp. I but premixed but I use a power head to agitate the water and help mix better also I heard it helps bring pH up.

I thought I could the first time. It would be a lot easier mixing it in tank first time since I have nothing in it than mixing 80 gallons and transferring to tank. I know this is the only time to do this but water changes is a lot less water. I posted my concerns on 1st post. Thanks.

Yeah you can the first time. Just fill up the tank and add the salt (amount per gallon is on directions, but I think it's 1/2 cup per gallon)...use powerheads to mix it and wait at least 24 hours. Might want to make the salinity high so you can wait for the salt to mix and in the meantime make more water for sump...Might be able to turn on filtration, but wouldn't recommend that when mixing salt. You'll have to add sand after which will make the water extremely cloudy for a few days. I didn't do this method, I premixed my SW, but doesn't matter as long as you have nothing LIVE in the tank.

So i can't let the sump fill with ro/di water and just add the amount of salt for the tank and sump to DT and just drain some when putting in rock and sand?If I can t then I'll have to stop water soon so it does not go down drain, my tank is drilled, and how will I know how much water is in the tank if not full?

Ok so I used my ball valves and put them so water can't go down pipes. How do I go about filling the sump separately? So I should add enough salt for both tank and sump and then add ro/di to sump? Sorry if this is common sense but I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. The last thing I need is a flood in the living room. Thanks.

So i can't let the sump fill with ro/di water and just add the amount of salt for the tank and sump to DT and just drain some when putting in rock and sand?If I can t then I'll have to stop water soon so it does not go down drain, my tank is drilled, and how will I know how much water is in the tank if not full?

Sorry I wasn't really thinking straight...your way is definitely better, so add all the water then mix salt in DT. Also, estimate! If it's 3/4 way full then there's about 50 gallons meaning you need to make 20 gallons more water plus how much volume there is in the sump. Did you check for leaks in plumbing yet?

No I haven't I wasn't sure how to do it, I had planned to slowly undo my ball valve going to skimmer first and shut ball valve if it leaked. Not sure how to on return. I doubt they will my husband did it and he's pretty good at it. So let me understand, I **** my ball valves last night and it is now almost full except an inch. Where do I go from here? Should I just fill it all the way mix salt for both and then open valves an fill the rest of way with ro/di then take some out when getting ready to add? Thanks.

Lindsay

Lindsay1718 said:
No I haven't I wasn't sure how to do it, I had planned to slowly undo my ball valve going to skimmer first and shut ball valve if it leaked. Not sure how to on return. I doubt they will my husband did it and he's pretty good at it. So let me understand, I **** my ball valves last night and it is now almost full except an inch. Where do I go from here? Should I just fill it all the way mix salt for both and then open valves an fill the rest of way with ro/di then take some out when getting ready to add? Thanks.

Lindsay

I meant I closed my ball valves.

Here's my tank filled, I'm letting water heat up a bit before adding salt. My hubby drove off with salt mix to work so I gotta wait till later to add salt. Still need to know if above way will be ok to do it. Thanks.

image-2087814071.jpg

image-59540746.jpg

Here's my 60 lbs of live rock I picked up yesterday, has purple coraline and hairy mushrooms and some polyps. Can't wait to get it in the tank. I will add some base rock next month but am tapped out till then. Prices add up quickly.

Lindsay1718 said:

Lindsay

Anyone? I mixed some of the salt in DT but I didn't leave enough room so I'm going to let dissolve then add some more or should I just let some down in sump now so I can finish adding salt?

I added salt yesterday and checked salinity today and it is way to salty! It is above 1.028 specific gravity and above 38 ppt salinity. Should I drain some and add ro/di. I ordered a refractometer but only have a hydrometer for now. Here's a pic if results. I only added 30 cups wich is amount for 70 gallons I was going to just drain water in to sump to give enough room to add rock/sand so it should be correct for amount in tank. Please input soon do I can get this taken care of.

image-3632080741.jpg

Your salinity may be higher then that your hydrometer is not full and the needle is at the surface but all you need to do is add Ro/Di water until your at the correct salinity and if you need to take water out then that's what you gotta do

And is your sump running? If not the amount of water in your plumbing may free up enough room to add your Ro/Di to adjust your salinity enough.

Back
Top Bottom