72 BowFront Weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nkim1994

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Guys!

So recently got my hands on a 72 bowfront! I live on a second floor of a house with a basement.

Now my house was built after the 60s, so I dont believe it uses trusses, going to look in the attic tom to see.

Now I calculated the tank to land between 850-900 lbs including: rock, sump, and etc.

Now the wall its going against is a corner wall, both part of the main frame of the rectangular house. Being that almost all exterior walls are generally load bearing to support the roof. As well as in the rectangular house, the joists usually go front to back.

If I put my tank in the corner against the wall perpendicular to the joists do you think it will be okay? I have a two story house with a basement. I will check the ceiling joists tom in the attic, i believe the floor joists to my room would run the same way.

Does this logic make sense? If I call my engineer buddy will this make sense? heheh

House:
Built after 60s
Tank back side and ride side will be against load bearing walls
Believe Joists to be perpendicular
2 Story House with Basement
Tank Weight Apr. 850-900lbs
Tank length 48"
Stand 49" long

I have a 90G w/20G sump and stand and a 58G sitting on a solid oak dresser which is over 100 lbs living on the sencond floor of and apartment that was built in the early 80s. I don't see any issue

a empty 75g tank is aprox 100lbs
my 90g tank empty is around 125lbs

in the 75g tank I estimate about 50/75lbs of sand depending how deep a sand bed you like.

live rock is a lb per gal so 75lbs

now water 75gX7g=525lbs

tank 100lbs
sand 75lbs
rock 75lbs
water 525lbs
total 775lbs is your approx weight minus the stands weight so that would need to be added to the total for a final tally

my home was built in the 1950's and the floors are rated approx 1400lbs per sq foot
I keep my 90g and 40g along with both there stands and sumps on the same floor on the same wall . for a total of 1740lbs with no issue ,

Last edited:
All good except saltwater is 8.6 lbs per gal.
Not being "that guy"...but if weight is an issue, that 1.6 may be the difference in what happens to the down stairs neighbors.

All good except saltwater is 8.6 lbs per gal.
Not being "that guy"...but if weight is an issue, that 1.6 may be the difference in what happens to the down stairs neighbors.

yeah when I did my Calculations i put the water at 8.6lbs.

Looked at the blue prints, I was correct, two load bearing walls and the joists will be perpendicular to the tank, so I think I will be fine.

Thanks for all the feed back guys!

I just have to find a way to make it level, I built the stand i might cut an extra piece of wood to mathch the stand base and sit it on top for better distribution of weight.

the average floor in the house can hold the weight of a full size car , if it was just the 4 wheels on the floor it would go through the floor for sure . but if it was flat on the floor it would sit there safely , crazy huh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom