72" Reef Lighting options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow, thanks, you always have the best links. lol

That would give me some flexibility if the fixture i end up with is a MH or doesnt have leg mounts.

I'm treading slowly with the lighting, will be the most expensive part even more than the tank adn stand probably. LOL

Thanks X...

personally i's stick with the T5s they are cheaper to replace then the PCs and the HQI. they are more efficient, they don't eat up liek the MH do, and they last longer.

with 750 watts of MH lightign you'll need to spend extra on a chiller

you won't necessarily need a chiller. 3 x halides would be around 150 bucks. the cf lamps would be around 120-140 bucks, for a total of 300, tops.
12 t5 lamps are 240, and 16 are 320, so...it's going to be around the same for lamps.
i do like the t5s better though...

i don't understand why people think you need a chiller with metal halides. it's not always the case, no matter where you place the fixture. this is only the case for certain setups....people in abnormally warm areas, or lacking adequate ventilation in the room etc. i've used halides for years and never needed anything other than a 12" fan over the sump.
as a matter of fact, when i changed my tank from halides to t-5s, the water temp didn't change at all. it's all relative.
it's probably better to say "if you are considering halides, consider that you might need a chiller".

Yeah, I figure I have to get new bulbs. I'm figuring the same setup I have on my 55g, ATI's.

Seems like a good deal to you?

yeah if the ballasts are still good 300 is a good buy, even then the advanced ballasts that the novas use are comonly used in flourescents so they are like $25 each

So even though I have the nova extreme pro T5 fixture for my 125g I just found a possible upgrade.

It's a current fixture and looks to be a mh setup. He only named the brand and a quick picture. It has 3 bright bulobs which i guess are the mh's. Woudl a 3 x150 setup be an upgrade? Or would going to 3 X 250 be the upgrade?

i have an email out to the guy for more details. Is it worth my while? I like that it has the three bulbs as my tank has three sections on top. :-D

no. a 3 x 150 watt hqi fixture would be a downgrade.
3 x 250 may or may not be an upgrade. it would depend on the bulbs, ballasts, and reflectors.

I plan on going with ATI bulbs again on the current pro I have. You know the specs of the lights, so if they are 150's then its not a good deal? if it turns out they are 250's will they be better than 12 T5 ati bulbs with the fixture being what it is?

Thanks X

my poinion is you're better off stayign with the T5s your runing at 468watts with the T5s and 750watts with the HQI. you'll be happier saving on your electricity bill. you will still be able to grow SPS with your nova pro

lol. i like halides too. i would have to take PAR readings from both fixtures before i could give you a definite answer on which is "better", but as leo said, you'll be able to grow stony corals under either fixture.

I think I would get the light! Three 250 watt MH for 175 is a great deal!! Maybe it's even the fixture with the T5's as well. Like I said I just love the look of the MH's better, I like how they make the water shimmer. I don't know a whole lot about lights though but I'm sure sps and clams would be very happy under that one.

Back
Top Bottom