Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

72" Reef Lighting options

So I told myself when i sold one of my tanks I would start looking more earnestly for a 125g for my sw upgrade. Sold a 55g setup last night so I'm ready!

I am gathering my information since this upgrade will be pricey I expect.

What are my options as far as getting lights? Do I get a full 72" fixture or go with multiple smaller ones? The tank will either have one brace or possible two so that means 2 36" or 3 24" or 1 72".

How many bulbs would be needed? I can't get away with a 4 fixture T5 unit anymore probably..lol
I've been seeing everything from 4 bulbs up to 10 bulbs. There's also MH fixtures but I was wanting to stay with t5 I think.

So lighting guru's what do you think? I want no limitations on what corals I can keep if that matters.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
check out this light fixture when i finally find a tank this is the one im going to get i think it would be a perfect Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
and the price isnt to bad either if you do some shopping around
Old 04-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Actually the price is great, its on sale for like $200 less than usual.
looks like a great fixture.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Sonomakid
Nova Extreme is a great fixture ! i have 1 on my 120.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

But if I just want to go with the minimum how many bulbs do you guys think? i don't mind going super cheap and then upgrading in the next year. I just don't wanna be caught with less light than i need. As this is my last tank i can pace myself on this build.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go with one 72 in personally, but that's just because of how it looks. Just get the best light you can afford right now haha the more light the better!

You could look into getting that light i just purchased for my pico. I've read about people getting multiple ones for their tank and putting them in track lighting or something like that. You wouldn't need to buy new bulbs for years and could keep any coral with them. If the price is right it might be worth it!

The site again: Nanotuners.com

and the guys e-mail: info@nanotuners.com

His name is nick and he is pretty quick at replying. Just send him an e-mail and ask what he would recommend for a tank that size. (amount of bulbs and which optics to use on the bulbs).
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Interesting idea Kelsey I never thought of something like that lol.

I have gone so far as looking at the odyssea fixtures but they are only 4 bulb unless you go with their MH. I have 2 odyssea fixtures, one really old and one new cheapy one and havent had an issue with them. I wouldn't consider them for the long run though. Just something for a few months, maybe a year.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

i was lookign at those LED bulbs when i was lookign at an LED fixture but the problem with this is everythign has to be pendent and unless they are in a fish room only they will look ugly and or the fixture would be huge
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would save up money and keep the tank just a fowlr until you could buy the correct fixture and buy once. two, 8 x 39 watt T5 HO fixtures is what i would choose for a 125. you could keep sps on the sand bed and with the right bulb lineup your tank would look like the forest in the movie "avatar".

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com