72g Acrylic reef lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reticle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've ordered a 72g Clear for Life and want to start a reef tank. I need reccomendations for a light setup for this tank. The tank is 48" wide but calls for a 36" fixture. I am a complete newb to this but fully intend to see it through to completion and would like to buy the right hardware the first time.

Good call checking in here first.

What are your plans for your tank? What kind of corals do you wish to keep? This will determine the amount of light you need to work towards.

Good call checking in here first.

What are your plans for your tank? What kind of corals do you wish to keep? This will determine the amount of light you need to work towards.

To be honest, I really do not know. Everything I've seen points me to the Higher light corals, but I can't afford to drop the $700-$1000 MH fixtures I've seen. I really just want to have the lighting flexible enough that once I get the tank established, I won't be held back by the type of lights I have (if that makes any sense).

-Brian

I'm in the process of setting up a 72 myself. I watched reefcentral, craigslist, etc, and found some used 175 MHs at a great price. Keep an eye out, you may be surprised what you're able to find used.

If you are somewhat handy I would suggest going with DIY kits and putting together your own lighting system. You could easily cut the cost in half or more. I started out with a 72bow. I ran PC lighting for the first 3 or 4 months and then upgraded to MH with VHO and T5s. I think I put maybe $350 into the entire lighting setup (not counted the T5s I added recently). Check out Hellolights.com for retro kits and parts. I got a lot of my stuff from them. Also check Craigslist in your area. People are always selling used equipment.

If you are somewhat handy I would suggest going with DIY kits and putting together your own lighting system. You could easily cut the cost in half or more. I started out with a 72bow. I ran PC lighting for the first 3 or 4 months and then upgraded to MH with VHO and T5s. I think I put maybe $350 into the entire lighting setup (not counted the T5s I added recently). Check out Hellolights.com for retro kits and parts. I got a lot of my stuff from them. Also check Craigslist in your area. People are always selling used equipment.

Thanks a ton, I'm already scouring Craigslist. I would actually prefer to build my own lights so I will have to check into that.

Let me know if you need some help there. I built my lighting system from components picked up from ebay and hellolights.co

Back
Top Bottom