Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2015, 02:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

My MiL has already named the b/w clown Melvin but doesn't like how aggressive the damsels are, the other clown doesn't seem to bother anyone. I do plan on add two anemones for them.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

29g Tropical Freshwater 2 female Endlers, 1 female Molly, 1 male Molly, 1 male Tuxedo Guppy, 1 Danio Glofish, 1 Zebra Danio, 1 Red Eye Tetra, 1 Neon Tetra, 6 Pepper Corys, 2 Assassin Snails, and 2 Plecos...
10g Tropical Freshwater 91 various Endler and Molly fry, 4 Pepper Corys and BN Pleco...
Squeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

It also looks like there are bubblers in there? I would recommend taking that out - it will cause you a whole bunch of pain (with salt creep getting on everything) I am not familiar with that light but best to check it before adding any light-demanding corals or anemones. I would wait on an anemone anyways, they do better in mature tanks start with easy stuff first while you are still getting to know the ropes nice pick up by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
My MiL has already named the b/w clown Melvin but doesn't like how aggressive the damsels are, the other clown doesn't seem to bother anyone. I do plan on add two anemones for them.

Your lighting is no where near strong enough for nems either. Your best bet is to rehome one of the clowns and pair the remaining one with another of its kind, other wise the cinnamon will most likely end up killing the occ.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I also forgot to mention that the tank has been up and running at her house for 3+ years.

29g Tropical Freshwater 2 female Endlers, 1 female Molly, 1 male Molly, 1 male Tuxedo Guppy, 1 Danio Glofish, 1 Zebra Danio, 1 Red Eye Tetra, 1 Neon Tetra, 6 Pepper Corys, 2 Assassin Snails, and 2 Plecos...
10g Tropical Freshwater 91 various Endler and Molly fry, 4 Pepper Corys and BN Pleco...
Old 03-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

In addition to taking out the bubblers as previously mentioned, unfortunately I think the used sand will cause significant nitrogen and phosphates and algae growth. A couple years ago I also picked up an established 110 gal FOWLR tank like yours. After reusing the sand, I fought algae for over a year, despite minimal feedings and always undetectable nitrates and phosphates. Finally I vacuumed out all the sand and replaced it with new sand. that and a hardy hermit crew removed the algae and it never came back. IT took a lot of research to isolate the problem to the sand.

As for other stuff in the tank, you have pics of feather dusters (great), asternia stars (not a problem) and white fungus (grows in areas with very low light levels, a harmless filter feeder).

Excellent deal BTW. Well done.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Great deal, and it looks great! Congrats on your first SW tank.

I kinda disagree about the clowns though. lol If they have been together for a long time they may have well worked out their differences already and can live happily in the same tank. I do agree with re-homing the damsels. Since they have been in there awhile they most likely wont take too kindly to any other fish being added. Tehy are nasty little buggers.
I say get a test kit like mentioned, figure out what to do about the water (ro/di is the best) and get to tank keeping. lol I would keep an eye on parameters too, just in case the moving of the tank and sand starts to cause issues. I've purchased several tanks and sometimes it is a bad thing and sometimes it never caused any issues.
Good luck!!!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Old 03-20-2015, 04:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update: Last week we went to the lfs to have the water test, holy cow, the phosphates and nitrates were red, I'm not sure how the fish were surviving in those water conditions. So, this past weekend we did a 25 gallon water change.

Yesterday we toted two damsels, a cinnamon clownfish and a sad looking piece of coral to the lfs. We decided to keep the blue damsel and the black onyx clownfish, with the agreement with the lfs, that if there are any territorial battles with any new fish that the lfs would take the blue damsel for us.

Our water tested pretty good, so in exchange for the cinnamon clownfish we got a peppermint shrimp. Seeing as the lfs, might not be able to sell the damsels we didn't get anything for them. She said she'll probably end up taking them home with her.

The sad looking piece of coral was mad, so she couldn't tell what kind it was, but it was showing new growth, so that's good news.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
In addition to taking out the bubblers as previously mentioned, unfortunately I think the used sand will cause significant nitrogen and phosphates and algae growth. A couple years ago I also picked up an established 110 gal FOWLR tank like yours. After reusing the sand, I fought algae for over a year, despite minimal feedings and always undetectable nitrates and phosphates. Finally I vacuumed out all the sand and replaced it with new sand. that and a hardy hermit crew removed the algae and it never came back. IT took a lot of research to isolate the problem to the sand.

As for other stuff in the tank, you have pics of feather dusters (great), asternia stars (not a problem) and white fungus (grows in areas with very low light levels, a harmless filter feeder).

Excellent deal BTW. Well done.
Thanks for the tip, the substrate in the tank now is crushed coral, next weekend we plan on changing it over to sand. Seeing as we want to get a blenny and a few more sand dwellers. Plus, we had always planned on a sand substrate for our future saltwater aquarium.

Plus we need to move the tank seeing as it was set up in the only spot we can put our Christmas tree. I suggested just decorating the tank for Christmas and be done, but I got out voted, a Christmas tree is a must, lol.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Great deal, and it looks great! Congrats on your first SW tank.

I kinda disagree about the clowns though. lol If they have been together for a long time they may have well worked out their differences already and can live happily in the same tank. I do agree with re-homing the damsels. Since they have been in there awhile they most likely wont take too kindly to any other fish being added. Tehy are nasty little buggers.
The cinnamon clownfish decided to start picking on Melvin(black onyx) I think because we actually turn the light on, whereas before they only left the blue light on. I agree about the damsels, but the blue one was getting harassed by everyone, so we decided to give her a chance.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, aquarium, ate, gallon, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium, setup, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com