Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgie View Post
thanks for the articles!
Haha, more like the expensive side
Yes it is i started 11 years ago and it's only gotten worse lol look at the cost of LED's the good news is there are deals out there.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

In that case. Just get a cheap t5 4 54w bulb fixture from aquatraders for 100. It should be good for shrooms, zoos, and some LPS. And make sure you rinse the PFS really well because the silicates can cause an algae problem

Old 08-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
Welcome If you are going with reef than you need to get better lighting such as T5s or Metal Hallide. I'd go with T5 as it is cheaper. Oh and I'd use something such as pool filter sand which is like $10 for 50 pounds because Arganite can build up nitrates depending on the size of the grain.
Can it be mixed with live sand if you want to increase your sand bed? Not sure I want to but it would be good information to have.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

See Morgie...I told you the Pros would weigh in. Isn't this site great.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
Can it be mixed with live sand if you want to increase your sand bed? Not sure I want to but it would be good information to have.
Yes you can mix sand but dont buy the bags of live sand waste of money IMO better to buy a cup of live sand from your LFS it will seed your sand as well as the rock if you have another SW tank up and running 6 months or more use a cup of that sand

Old 08-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Yes you can mix sand but dont buy the bags of live sand waste of money IMO better to buy a cup of live sand from your LFS it will seed your sand as well as the rock if you have another SW tank up and running 6 months or more use a cup of that sand
Thanks Griz. Wish I had know that before I bought 40 lbs of live sand 3 weeks ago. But, good info to have for the future. Something tells me this won't be the only tank I set up. Man, this is addicting.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Watch that MTS (Multi Tank Syndrome) it can put you in the poor house lol But you do end up with great looking tanks

Old 08-08-2011, 06:37 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another thing is buy used of off craigslist.com You can find good deals and packages so keep an eye out
Old 08-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We are actually finding good deals on craigslist, so that's probably where we'll end up buying from. It looks like getting the tank is going to be put on hold for a bit because my dad is not into it at all, even though he'd love it once it was set up and paid for. He thinks I've got too many tanks already and doesn't want me getting my mom into the hobby haha.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgie View Post
We are actually finding good deals on craigslist, so that's probably where we'll end up buying from. It looks like getting the tank is going to be put on hold for a bit because my dad is not into it at all, even though he'd love it once it was set up and paid for. He thinks I've got too many tanks already and doesn't want me getting my mom into the hobby haha.
Dads are such a pain!!! Oh, wait a minute. I am a dad, three times over.

Tags
beginner advice saltwater, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com