75-80G SW tank; desperately needing advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My mom wants a saltwater tank for her birthday and I'm very excited to get started! The stand I'm going to get her will support a 55-80 gallon tank, so I'm thinking of going for 75-80g range, since I've heard that bigger SW tanks are easier to maintain. I'm experienced with freshwater but a complete novice with saltwater! If you guys could give me some beginner advice that would be awesome. I know some of the basic supplies I'll need, but I'd love to hear your experience with certain brands and the prices of each. Since I am a broke college student I'd like to be as economical as possible while still having a great and efficient setup. My mom really wants a reef tank, but I know that's going to be a lot more difficult than a FOWLR.
Advice, por favor?

I am sure lots of people will chip in with great advice but if not, send me a message and I will tell you what I know. The bad part is I don't know what I "DON'T" know. I have only been at this about three weeks. Let the experts help but if you don't hear anything I do what I can. Good Luck.

Here's a basic list I put together of essentials and brand name products I saw recommended on this site and on others. Help me revise this list and tell me your experiences with certain products?

75-80G Tank
Tank Stand
Very high output fluorescent lighting (VHO)
Heater
Thermometer
Hydrometer
Seio Super Pump
Aragonite sand
Salt
Saltwater Master Test
Protein Skimmer (filter)

Welcome :) If you are going with reef than you need to get better lighting such as T5s or Metal Hallide. I'd go with T5 as it is cheaper. Oh and I'd use something such as pool filter sand which is like $10 for 50 pounds because Arganite can build up nitrates depending on the size of the grain.

I don't know if I'm going to go with a full reef at first. Probably mainly LR with a few low-light corals
Oh, thank god you can use PFS haha. That's what I have in my FW tanks and it is so wonderful.

thanks for the articles!
Haha, more like the expensive side ;)

Yes it is i started 11 years ago and it's only gotten worse lol look at the cost of LED's :blink: the good news is there are deals out there.

In that case. Just get a cheap t5 4 54w bulb fixture from aquatraders for 100. It should be good for shrooms, zoos, and some LPS. And make sure you rinse the PFS really well because the silicates can cause an algae problem :D

Welcome :) If you are going with reef than you need to get better lighting such as T5s or Metal Hallide. I'd go with T5 as it is cheaper. Oh and I'd use something such as pool filter sand which is like $10 for 50 pounds because Arganite can build up nitrates depending on the size of the grain.

Can it be mixed with live sand if you want to increase your sand bed? Not sure I want to but it would be good information to have.

Can it be mixed with live sand if you want to increase your sand bed? Not sure I want to but it would be good information to have.

Yes you can mix sand but dont buy the bags of live sand waste of money IMO better to buy a cup of live sand from your LFS it will seed your sand as well as the rock if you have another SW tank up and running 6 months or more use a cup of that sand

Yes you can mix sand but dont buy the bags of live sand waste of money IMO better to buy a cup of live sand from your LFS it will seed your sand as well as the rock if you have another SW tank up and running 6 months or more use a cup of that sand

Thanks Griz. Wish I had know that before I bought 40 lbs of live sand 3 weeks ago. :facepalm: But, good info to have for the future. Something tells me this won't be the only tank I set up. Man, this is addicting. :rolleyes:

Watch that MTS (Multi Tank Syndrome) it can put you in the poor house lol But you do end up with great looking tanks

Another thing is buy used of off craigslist.com You can find good deals and packages so keep an eye out

We are actually finding good deals on craigslist, so that's probably where we'll end up buying from. It looks like getting the tank is going to be put on hold for a bit because my dad is not into it at all, even though he'd love it once it was set up and paid for. He thinks I've got too many tanks already and doesn't want me getting my mom into the hobby haha.

We are actually finding good deals on craigslist, so that's probably where we'll end up buying from. It looks like getting the tank is going to be put on hold for a bit because my dad is not into it at all, even though he'd love it once it was set up and paid for. He thinks I've got too many tanks already and doesn't want me getting my mom into the hobby haha.

Dads are such a pain!!! Oh, wait a minute. I am a dad, three times over. :)

Back
Top Bottom