75 Conversion Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

speedy51

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone :)

Ok I've been a member of AA for a while now but I have always been on the freshwater side. I am now looking at starting a saltwater FOWLR using my existing tank. I started a Nano tank (FOWLR) at work and it is going great but as you know a Nano tanks are different than a larger as far as setup. I can actually get away with using a HOB protein skimmer and bio filter.

Now I know that these two (Freshwater/Saltwater) are completely different setups but I want to get advice on something’s before I start. My existing freshwater will be broken down cleaned and prep before I start.

I don't have a reef ready tank so I will be using an overflow box. I will be using the C- Siphon overflows by CPR Aquatic model CS-100 which will give me an 800 GPH flow rate with their Cyclone Bio Filter which has a protein skimmer and is rated for a 200 gallon tank and I will be also installing an additional sump for added volume.

Thus far I am good with this equipment unless anyone has had prior bad experience using them. My questions begin with my existing equipment. I am currently running 2 Fluval 305, 1 Fluval 306 and 1 Fluval 405. I know 4 filters. As you can imagine I had a pretty big bio load. Each one of these filters has either an inline UV Sterilizer or inline heater.

I would like to know if I can use these filters. (maybe not all of them) I would like to run them empty without any filter media so that I can benefit from the additional equipment (uv & heater). Basically my thought is that they would be used to overturn water and flow (current) in the FOWLR.

Can I do this without creating a nitrate or nitrite nightmare? I have read on posts regarding the use of these filters and they all say they can be a factory for these no no's in a saltwater.

Also has anyone used the Mag 12 pump? How noisy is it? Is it best used in sump or as an external? I know this pump is rated for 1200 gph but I am running at least 5 for head of pressure which with this particular model according to the manufacturer would be fine at 800 GPH (which would match my overflow). I also spoke to CPR Aquatics regarding these prepackaged deals found on line for their equipment and their return pump packaged with the system fall short.

How can set this equipment (sump) so that I can shut it down without worrying that my tank will empty out? Can check valve be installed? Any additional tips you can give for plumbing in this equipment would be appreciated.

Thanks. I look forward to hearing for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom