75 gallon fish list - does this look ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pittchic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here's what I'm currently thinking. Let me know your thoughts...

-- Already have --
1 Emrald crab
12 blue leg hermit crabs
3 red leg hermit crabs
3 turbo snails

-- Already have, but getting rid of --
5 various damsels

-- Want list --

1. Nemo (O. clown)
2. Yellow Tang
3. Hippo Tang
4. Threadfin Butterfly
5. Longfin Bannerfish
6. Six line wrasse (maybe a Four line wrasse)
7. Comet
8. Coral Beauty Angel

How will 7 & 8 react to the top three? The top 3 are the ones I really want. The bottom three I can mix and match. I don't want to overstock the tank. Is eight fish too many?

Also, I'm thinking about dropping the Butterfly and the Banner, in favor of a small school of one particular species. I've heard blue eye cardinals are a good choice. How many?

You going fish only or reef? How old is your tank? I'd drop one of the tangs and do a pair of perc clowns. I'd also be more concerned about how 2 would react to 4, 5, 7 & 8.

Other wise, with the tangs reaching maybe 6 - 8", and #'s 4 and 5 getting some size on them too, swimmiing space and aggression could be a problem w/that lineup. I think you should consider some smaller fish (blennies, firefish, gobies, etc)that hang out on the bottom or rocks. Other than the six-line, all you've ID above will swim out front. IMO, it'd be kinda crowded.

I'm going for a FOWLR tank. It has been set up for 7 weeks now. I know I can't add these fish all at once but this is the list I'd like eventually. This tank will only be set up for 2 yrs and then we'll be moving and upgrading to a bigger tank, probably a 6' one. Do you think these fish will be compatible for the 2 yrs until we upgrade or is it still a little too crowded? Like I said, I'm thinking of dropping 4 & 5 for a school of smaller fish. Do you think this would be a bad idea?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/SWCompatibility.php

Check the compatability guide at this site. Also should check the inch of fish per gallon rules. With a new tank, it'd probably be 6 or 7 months untill you get fully stocked anyway.

IMO, I still think your choices are all out front swimmers, except the wrasse. I'm not sure what a Comet is. An angel? Anyway, that many fish swimming out front will likely cause some problems, even regardless of the size. I'd consider adding fish to complete your list after the two year switch if it were me. Even in a 6 ft tank, it still seems like a lot of fish that prefer to swim out front. Maybe others have a different opinion since I've never kept anything on your list but a yellow tang and a six-line.

Research each fish and you'll likely change your list.

BTW, you sure you don't wann do reef. Not as difficult as some think. And if you do, your list will definitley change. Take a look at my profile and gallery for my 75g.

So, if I dropped the yellow tang and replaced the butterfly & bannerfish with a small school of cardinals, do you think that would be better? Here's an article on Comet fish:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/Fish.htm

I would love a reef tank but I think we'll wait until after the move to think about that one. Yours is beautiful by the way!

Thanks for the compliment.

The article says the comet is shy and may have trouble competing for food with faster swimmers. You've got plenty in your lineup. Also says they might have trouble with surgeonfishes. You've got 2 in your lineup. Cannot keep any shrimp with this fish either.

I've never been crazy about cardinals. They just sit there, staring at whatever. Think about a school (maybe 3) blue/green chromis instead. They move around but will be another fish competing for swimming space.

Also, if you're thinking reef tank in two years, I'd go for fish that you won't have to remove later. Unless you're talking about a 2nd tank after the move.

Hopefully others who've kept more of the fish on you list will chime in.

I would get a maroon because he is larger and would stand a better chance with what you selected.

Back
Top Bottom