75 gallon fresh to salt conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raygator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have had saltwater tanks before but its time to do it again. I have a 75 gallon freshwater tank with no inhabitants as of now but the beneficial bacteria is still alive in it. Now, my question is can the bacteria be converted? Because I have dry live rock chunks with no saltwater bacteria alive in them, so if I added salt to the tank as is, would it start the bio cycle on its own? Otherwise I have 2 green spotted puffers in a slightly salted fredhwater tank, could I add them to start the bio cycle? I've searched for plenty of info on this via the internet but not much useful info. Please let me know, thanks

No the bacterias do not interchange. I believe even the brackish bacteria is a little different. I would get around 15lbs of lr to go with the base rock adn let her cycle. You could throw an uncooked shrimp in to help more bacteria form than what the die off from the lr would yield. And get a test kit and when ammonia and nitrite dissapear, do a 20% pwc and add a small fish. Let the tank go about 6 weeks before adding another fish, so the system stabilizes adn adds more bacteria to compensate.

Ok thanks for the tips, I just put the gsps in it and am slowly adding salt so they live to start the bio cycle

Back
Top Bottom