Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

75 gallon full set up on craigslist: is it worth it

I have always wanted to start a saltwater aquarium, after I started my first freshwater aquarium a little over a year ago. I was surfing craigslist for any good deals on tanks and spotted a full set-up 75 gallon saltwater aquarium, with all of the fish, corals, live rock, etc. included. I have a birthday coming up and its at a decent price and was thinking maybe I could wade into the salty end of fish-keeping. I had a few questions about the fish in the tank I wanted to ask first.
So what comes with the purchase is:
1 tomato clown
2 nemo clowns
1 blue spotted puffer
1 striped sweetlips
1 naso tang
2 dominoe clowns
50-60lbs of live rock
100lbs live crushed coral
2 power heads
1 aqua clear70 hang on filter
1 fluval 305 cannister filter
1 75g tank
1 75g tank stand
1 4feet led reef slim light
1 hang on protein skimmer
also any fish food and supplies I have

My questions:
How are these fish compatibility wise?
Are any of them to complicated to take care of for a dedicated newbie?
Too much, too little live rock for a 75 gallon?
Will the naso tang and sweetlips grow too big for a 75?
Is it overstocked understocked/ could I still fit a small, maybe a Picasso trigger in?
Is transport of all these items/ animals safely possible in the winter, after about a half an hour to fourty-five minute drive?

Obviously I will find out in much more detail about the tank, make sure all of the fish are healthy and do a lot of research on my own, but if you guys have any answers to those questions, I would much appreciate it.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinemammalover View Post
I have always wanted to start a saltwater aquarium, after I started my first freshwater aquarium a little over a year ago. I was surfing craigslist for any good deals on tanks and spotted a full set-up 75 gallon saltwater aquarium, with all of the fish, corals, live rock, etc. included. I have a birthday coming up and its at a decent price and was thinking maybe I could wade into the salty end of fish-keeping. I had a few questions about the fish in the tank I wanted to ask first.
So what comes with the purchase is:
1 tomato clown
2 nemo clowns
1 blue spotted puffer
1 striped sweetlips
1 naso tang
2 dominoe clowns
50-60lbs of live rock
100lbs live crushed coral
2 power heads
1 aqua clear70 hang on filter
1 fluval 305 cannister filter
1 75g tank
1 75g tank stand
1 4feet led reef slim light
1 hang on protein skimmer
also any fish food and supplies I have

My questions:
How are these fish compatibility wise?
Are any of them to complicated to take care of for a dedicated newbie?
Too much, too little live rock for a 75 gallon?
Will the naso tang and sweetlips grow too big for a 75?
Is it overstocked understocked/ could I still fit a small, maybe a Picasso trigger in?
Is transport of all these items/ animals safely possible in the winter, after about a half an hour to fourty-five minute drive?

Obviously I will find out in much more detail about the tank, make sure all of the fish are healthy and do a lot of research on my own, but if you guys have any answers to those questions, I would much appreciate it.
Well how much is it? The sweet lips and naso will both need to be rehomed. Do you mean domino damsels as I'd get rid of them too, they're the worst, meanest damsels ever. The clowns may work but the tomato could get mean. With a pair of occelaris though they may be ok. If you want a reef the puff may have to go, they're hit or miss and I don't think that light can grow corals.
On the Picasso it may be ok for a little but will need a much larger tank as they get 10-11" and if you did get one then definitely no coral. Other than that everything looks ok just what's the price lol

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree on the sweetlips and the naso, both absolutely need a larger tank. The price would give me a better idea though. For instance, the filtration is kinda iffy.
I have seen decent 75g setups with the proper equipment and fish go for like $500 or so in my area of FLorida. Just depends on the price
I also picked up a 180g canopy and stand with all uber filtration and over 300lbs of rock and sand for just $500. And it is in like new condition, so it can be done, just have to wait it out. The first thing you see always seems like a great deal. lol
Old 02-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

It is being sold for $500 firm. There are a few others around the same price that I saw; but this one looked like it was in the best condition....I think he did mean domino clowns I looked them up and they are some rare product of two other "designer" clowns. They go for around $90 a piece and have the same temperament as your typical run of the mill clownfish. With a 75 gallon would it be possible to get any type of trigger? (I like triggers haha) if I kept it just a FOWLR tank

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, gallon, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com