Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2005, 10:53 AM   #11

just use coupon code AQUARIUMADVICE at checkout for the 6% to be automatically applied.

Old 05-14-2005, 07:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks alot. Not sure right now what I am going to house in the tank. I am focusing on getting all the essential parts of the tank done.

I have a couple questions
1) Could salt creep eat through wire? Reason I ask is because on some of the wires for the powerheads I get salt creep and I use a warm cloth and just wipe it off and put the salt back in the tank

2) I got a coralife 18watt uv sterilizer with the tank, my plan is to use his wet dry and then also build a refugium. Is it a bad idea to use the UV sterilizer. I ask because I know it destorys everything good or bad and with the refugium being in place I dont want to kill any beneficial life. I have a rainbow lifeguard uv sterilizer on my freshwater tank and it helped take care of all the free floating alage in the tank. I love the lifguard so much better than the coral life, better design and more effective.

3) What kind of lighting would you use on a refugium and also as far as plants I've read they use mangroves are there any other plants that would be beneficial.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

When dosing with kalkwasser does anyone also dose iodine and Strontium.?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have NO lighting on my fuge. I have a fuge, a sump and a UV sterilizer. My system is stable and handling the bioload great. My trates are hovering right about 7 and have been for the last few months (*knocks on wood HARD*). LOL!

I don't dose Kalk, I'd rather do b-ionic personally. I have this fear/respect for kalk and I'm just not ready to go there yet..

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey PHY, what is in your fuge? Why do you fear Kalkwasser?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 4" DSB, chaeto and caulerpa. I light my fuge 24/7 and am finally ready to havest a little bit of my fuge growth, I think. I fear Kalk because in the raw it has a pH of around 13 and dripped wrong you could really hurt your tank. I'm not ready for that level of responsibility, lol!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

PH of 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wasnt aware that it could really reak havoc. My mom is going to get me the drip setup because she works at a hospital.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com