Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you plan on having coral in the tank. If so you might want to look at a power head controller or a variable power head. Aka wave make, not need this time but something to think about.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm in the process of do a 75 show with a home made 40 breeder sump also. My plan is to go with an ecotech marine vortech MP 40 Es propeller pump. It's awesome check it out.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy554 View Post
Do you plan on having coral in the tank. If so you might want to look at a power head controller or a variable power head. Aka wave make, not need this time but something to think about.

yes eventually
Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

The first chambr is where most put the skimmer 2nd can be used as a fuge most put some marco algae (cheato) you can also put some live rock in there and right 3rd is the return

My power heads are on the ends aimed at the front center pane this way the flows crash into each other creating nice random flows The idea is to keep any detritus suspended so the overflow can remove it I would open the rock up a bit more and make a few caves for the fish to swim through

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike2u View Post
also I have 2 koralia circulation pumps 850 gph each 1 mounted on side pointing at front glass and the other mounted on other side pointing at rear glass is this right???? are these pumps big enough for my 75 gallon. here is a pic of my tank setup. one pic of tank and other of tank and future sump. By the way does my live rock look positioned correctly Thanks Mike

Ok I moved the rock and made lots of swim holes looks a lot better now. I moved my circulation pumps to rear corners and pointed them to center glass center tank now they in a v flow. now my temp seems to move a lot between 78 and 79.0 at different times I have a digital thermometer what would be the reason is moving so much is it safe could heater be bad???? or is it just because the current in tank? thanks Also are my 2 850 gph heads good enough to move the water?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

The temp change could be because of the flow there may have been cold spots in the rock. the power heads are on the low side but will work until you have more demanding coral (SPS) As long as you dont have detritus building up your fine

Old 08-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
The temp change could be because of the flow there may have been cold spots in the rock. the power heads are on the low side but will work until you have more demanding coral (SPS) As long as you dont have detritus building up your fine
What gph power heads should I have later?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

That will depend on what type of coral you want there's no hard rules just SPS like a fast random flow the rule of thumb for reef tanks is 20-50x tank volume for FOWLR 10-20x My tank is a 180 with a lot of SPS it's 8ft long and i run about 10k gph my water looks like it's boiling lol

Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
That will depend on what type of coral you want there's no hard rules just SPS like a fast random flow the rule of thumb for reef tanks is 20-50x tank volume for FOWLR 10-20x My tank is a 180 with a lot of SPS it's 8ft long and i run about 10k gph my water looks like it's boiling lol
Wow I just bought these so I can exchange if you think I should. Tell me what ones I should get or just wait till I ready and buy new ones send me a pic of your tank mrmike2u@aol.com love to see it.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd go with the 1050 or even the 1500's 3000gph sounds like a lot but if you ever dove on a reef you'd be amazed at how much the water moves I'll try and find a decent tank pic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com