75 gallon new setup questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd go with the 1050 or even the 1500's 3000gph sounds like a lot but if you ever dove on a reef you'd be amazed at how much the water moves I'll try and find a decent tank pic

Ok for now I added 2 more Kolaline 1 400gpm I had laying around I positioned them on rear glass bouncing off front glass to add a little more water movement. till I can change the others out. I also hooked up a coralline power center so my lights will go on/off by them selves. Question I just have a 48" strip light with a marine-Glo T-8 Bulb will this be sufficient light to cycle the tank? how many hours should I leave this light on during the cycle? And what new light do you suggest I start looking for to replace this one I have. Thanks

I also just upgraded to a 75 and was about due for 4 new bulbs so i decided to get the Chinese LEDs and turned all the way down they almost match the intensity of the t5s there really is no comparison how much better the corals look. I paid 230 for two panels so only 2 more bulb changes after this one or maybe 18 months I have recovered the cost. Cost aside they look way better I wish I would've done it sooner and now I can support anything I want (at least from a light stand point).

The light doesn't affect the nitrogen cycle so you have time to look around and gather research before you upgrade.

Definitely get the test kits if you haven't yet.

Now that I've thought about it you really don't want to rush into corals anyway so if I were starting new (and on a budget) I would keep your current lights and get the rodi unit first then do the light upgrade later maybe in a year.

You can leave the lights off while cycling it will help control algae look into the dimmable
leds on e bay any of the 120 or higher wattage will be good for your tank i have the blue/white 120 watt over my tank

You can leave the lights off while cycling it will help control algae look into the dimmable
leds on e bay any of the 120 or higher wattage will be good for your tank i have the blue/white 120 watt over my tank

Any recommendations on a ro/di system that won't break my pocket book.

I agree with Greg. A good 5 stage from BRS and they have the refills as well.
reefbreeders are possible lights, I used two for my 100 gallon, so I am sure you could use 2 for the 75. It is nice because you can manually ajust the brightness for coral acclimation and you can separate the blues from the whites/colors on different timers.

I had galss cut for the sump. I used a 30 gallon and then siliconed it in. Also I have 4 chambers as I keep the macro algae separate from the live rock so I dont disturb the LR while maintaining the macro algae.

I have a 75 gallon as well. I am using the Jabao wp25 pump and it works great. Random flow and dials back 50% when the lights go off. I have the 2 120W dimmable LEDs from e-bay. You hang them from the ceiling with 2 j hooks and buy 2 dial timers from walmart. Works great. No lights are needed during the cycle.

I am using the eshopps ph-800 overflow box which works awesome. Don't know the return pump I have it was given to me by my friend so I need to upgrade that, going to go with the mag 7.

Back
Top Bottom