75 gallon plans - beginning stage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cajungirl3993

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! It has always been a dream of mine to have a saltwater reef tank. I decided it would be best for me to gain experience with freshwater first to get a "feel" for fish then go on to saltwater. After keeping 2 freshwater tanks for a while (45 gallon central american cichlids and 29 gallon african mbuna), I feel that I am ready to venture into saltwater. As some of you might know, cichlids are not beginner fish like guppies and swordtails, so I definitely learned tons of info on species and communities and pH and so on and so on..... and it was relatively easy as long as you are passionate about it (and passion for this hobby is one thing I DO have!) :)

So now I'm ready to turn a 75 gallon (newly acquired) into a saltwater coral reef. It won't be ready for setup for another 6 months, but I thought this would be a perfect time to start asking questions along with my research. I have two questions for the moment:

1 - Foxface - Siganus vulpinus: This fish is definitely one I've wanted from the beginning. In your experience, have I correctly put this fish (single specimen) in with my plans for coral, invertibrates (tons of these), and smaller fish? Or do you think the Foxface in this tank isn't a good idea?

2 - What other fish could I add with the Foxface and invertibrates to ensure a harmonious community (if possible)?

To help you with your suggestions, I do have a few things I am looking for. I don't like shy fish that hide all the time, and if they are personable then that's even better! (Anyone who has had cichlids knows the level of "personable" I'm talking about). Basically, a fish that won't run and hide when I approach the tank and behaves normally whether I'm around or not. I've trained previous freshwater fish to take food out of my hand and allow petting. Don't worry, I won't try to pet the Foxface! :lol:

Also, another quality I'm looking for is that I'd like the additional fish to have a care level between easy and moderate. I'd like to enjoy my tank, not stress over it. I can handle slightly delicate fish, and I understand these tanks take time to develop and mature to support say a mandarin fish.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Welcome to AA!!!!

I don't know a whole lot about the foxface...just what I have read about it. From what I know it seems like it is a good fish for the reef/community. But it may be a bit cramped in a 75g tank. I think they are usually in 100+ tanks. They are posionous and that would worry me a bit. I agree it is an awesome looking fish though!

You have found a great place for information and suggestions. I know that our moderaters and members will chime in with great suggestions! Be prepared to share some photos though...we love to see the tanks!!!!!!

Check out www.liveaquaria.com Dr. Foster and Smith provide a lot of information on the fish they sell!! If nothing else it is a good reference point!

HTH

I'm not quite decided on my equipment just yet. I'm still in the research phase of my invertibrates and corals and their requirements. I love the zoos, clams, shrimp, and many types of anemones the most. I have to plan rock placement and aquascape to narrow it down to which ones will go where and what their requirements will be. Sorry if that puts a damper on suggestions. I was hoping the fish would be easiest to plan and a place to start since most don't really require certain lighting.

I do know, though, that the current will be a medium flow. At least I have that decided! LOL Oh, and Fiji LR seems to be the popular choice, so I may go with that one, and I would prefer NOT to have to drill into the tank for any equipment. A canister filter for filtration, too. Maybe a HOB added just in case. I believe you can never have too much filtration.

I was afraid the Foxface might be a tad cramped. :( I was looking for one "centerpiece" fish amongst my reef with others just as fillers/algae eaters/activity.

**Ziggy, I just added a pic of my electric blue jack dempsey in my gallery.

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

The foxface should be ok in a 75G. Liveaquaria.com states 70G is good. How about a mated pair of yellow striped maroon clowns/anemones (anemones should be housed in a mature tank of about 1 year), a pistol goby and a pistol shrimp?

I would advise against the canister filter. The live rock, with good flow in the tank would be all the biological filtration you need. The problem with any sort of mechanical filtration is that it will trap material which will lead to increased nitrates as it decomposes. Instead, look into a protein skimmer which will pull undesirable organic material out of the water before it has the chance to decompose.

I certainly understand not wanting to drill a tank you have already. You can still have a sump by using an overflow box--something you may want to consider.

On liveaquaria's site, there is a compatibility chart you could take a look at.

Chris

cplawrence said:
The live rock, with good flow in the tank would be all the biological filtration you need.

I would like to add one thing to Chris`s list. A skimmer would be a very good addition. LR and a skimmer is what I suggest for biological filtration needs. That is all I`ve had except for the last two yrs when I added a refugium. I agree the the canister is not needed.

Good stuff, guys, thanks so much. I'm glad the canister won't be needed. That will save me lots of money to spend on a nice skimmer. I'll need it for lights, too, that's for sure!

I never cycle a tank with live animals. I think it is cruel and unnecessary.

I'll continue with the plans to include the Foxface, and be sure to monitor him closely (monitoring my tank closely is my favorite part!).

I love the suggestions, roka64. Thank you. Clowns are awesome creatures as well as gobies and shrimp, and the anemones will be planned for about one year after setup date.

Liveaquaria is a very useful site, and I'm glad to see that others here go by the info given, as well. You never know which sites you can trust with factual information, you know?

So for equipment, I'll need the following: protein skimmer, powerheads, and a sump with overflow box (I like that idea, just don't understand how it works just yet).... and that's it? Wow, I had a whole list of equipment planned that I guess I don't even need.

This is all very helpful, thank you.

Next planning stage will be anemones, clams, and corals. This may take a while... :lol:

cajungirl3993 said:
So for equipment, I'll need the following: protein skimmer, powerheads, and a sump with overflow box (I like that idea, just don't understand how it works just yet).... and that's it? Wow, I had a whole list of equipment planned that I guess I don't even need.

Oh... that's not all the stuff you'll need! :D But that probably covers the "big stuff." The "little" incidentals add up quick. I was amazed. Let's see... other "little" stuff you'll need are heaters, extra heater and powerhead for mixing/storing saltwater, refractometer (don't do the swing arm thing - junk), test kits (ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, Ca, Alk, pH, phosphates), cleaner magnet, thermometers, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

You don't need a sump, but if you have room to have one below your tank, then it's a good idea to start off with one. It'll make maintenance easier and give you more water volume to dilute any nasties. If you end up without a sump, you can always use a HOB skimmer.

And about that Foxface - some of the stuff I've read on them says that they may NOT be too reef friendly. In other words, they nip at coral polyps. You mentioned that you're planning to have corals, so you might want to research that aspect of the foxface a little more. I think it might be like some of the dwarf angels like the Flame Angel where some Flames nip and some do not - it's just a individual personality thing. Just something to keep in mind in the planning stage.

Kurt_Nelson said:
Oh... that's not all the stuff you'll need! :D But that probably covers the "big stuff." The "little" incidentals add up quick. I was amazed. Let's see... other "little" stuff you'll need are heaters, extra heater and powerhead for mixing/storing saltwater, refractometer (don't do the swing arm thing - junk), test kits (ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, Ca, Alk, pH, phosphates), cleaner magnet, thermometers, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

You don't need a sump, but if you have room to have one below your tank, then it's a good idea to start off with one. It'll make maintenance easier and give you more water volume to dilute any nasties. If you end up without a sump, you can always use a HOB skimmer.

Well, thankfully I have the cleaner magnets, thermometers, heaters, and part of that test kit already. As for the sump filter, I'm all about trying things that come highly suggested and not just stick with what's required. Anything to make maintenance easier, I'm all about it. I have a 29 gallon tank that would be perfect after some modifications. That way I can do water changes in there. Seems to be so much easier, I would think.

Kurt_Nelson said:
And about that Foxface - some of the stuff I've read on them says that they may NOT be too reef friendly. In other words, they nip at coral polyps. You mentioned that you're planning to have corals, so you might want to research that aspect of the foxface a little more. I think it might be like some of the dwarf angels like the Flame Angel where some Flames nip and some do not - it's just a individual personality thing. Just something to keep in mind in the planning stage.

I see the Foxface is getting some mixed replies. Good thing I asked! lol I'll consider it heavily, and if he doesn't work out, that will just be another excuse to get another tank! I know all about MTS and unfortunately, I am a victim. :)

Thanks, darlin'. You're a peach! I realize that I can't even begin to calculate the total cost of all the "little" gadgets and not to mention what the food cost will be, but I figure that if I just tack on an additional $100 to all of my figures, that should help. It's a good thing in Louisiana that shrimp is very easy to come by. Hell, I can even go catch my own in the Gulf of Mexico. hee!

I have a Foxface in a 75g up and coming reef tank, and he is doing great. he doesn't nip at corals and is very active in the tank.

Don't worry about the venom remarks, they do have a mild venom in their dorsal fins, but with the correct handling should not be an issue. Have you ever been fishing and caught a Crappie? IF IF IF you ever have to grab him, just make sure to come from the front and keep his drosal fin against his body.

He is not like a Lionfish, hiding under rocks so you accidently grab him. I doubt he will be anywhere near your hands when tey are in the tank, mine never is.

Great reef citizen in my opinion. But then again, I have a Coral Beauty that has never given me any trouble. I think the trick is just keep them well fed and they won't go searching for food in other places.

Back
Top Bottom