75 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CichlidFreak425

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Jus set up a 75 gallon tank. I have around 70# of LS and maybe 30-40# of LR. I'm going to get base rock tomorrow to add to it. I'm wanting to do a reef tank. Any stocking ideas..?

hehe i bet kio's asking because there's a fish in there..... not going down that road.

Nice tank though. How long u had it?

What stocking ideas you want? Fish or coral?

This one has been set up for a week. Not the first salt I've set up. But it is MY first salt tank. And I'm wanting to go with coral.

If it's not cycled yet, I'd get that fish out & do a fishless cycle. It'll happen much faster than trying to cycle a tank that size with one little fish.......... not to mention being more humane on the fish.

It's cycled. I've tested water and it's all good. I used sand from my brothers old tank.

T5 2 bulb. I know. Not the best. But I got it for free. So I can't complain. An I jus got a blue spotted watchman goby, a coral banded shrimp, 2 clowns, and an invert. What else..?

I am. I'm going easy now. I'm gonna get a little more base rock and let it do it's thing. Then from there I'm gonna stock it with more lively fish. I jus dont know what to put in there... Im getting a yellow tang and I wanted to know if a dwarf lion is reef friendly...?

Im getting a yellow tang and I wanted to know if a dwarf lion is reef friendly...?

I'd say no-go on both of those..... tangs need way more swimming room than a 75 gallon, especially yellows. You can easily have a dwarf lion in a 75 reef, but they will eat just about anything that will fit in their mouth, and their mouths are deceptively large for their body size. If your clowns are smaller, they can quickly become an expensive snack...... If you've ever seen a large-mouth bass down a full size frog, you get the idea of what they can consume.

Should I get a watchman/pistol pair?

You can do that, but a couple words of caution... pistols can be like trapdoor spiders. If a snail wanders too close to the burrow, the pistol can jump out & grab it, drag it back in, and eat it.... I read one account here that somebody saw a dead snail's shell used for shoring in the side of a burrow......
Second, if your rock is sitting up on your sand and not directly on the bottom of the tank, a burrowing pistol can quickly undermine your rockwork causing a shift/collapse, and possibly kill himself in the process.

It's prolly like 3/4 of the way in the sand now. I did some rearranging and I got a Stoney pollop(*?). It's pretty organized and structured right. I'll upload pics whenever I wake up since its 3:00 am here. But I want active fish but idk what kind.... My brother keeps telling me to get a wrasse... But idk if they're coral friendly..?

My carpenters flasher wrasse is in my reef and NEVER picks at any coral. And he's beautiful!! :)

image-3603665314.jpg

I have an exquisite, orange back, and red head Solon... All with a reef.

I've come to find out that my tank has a leak around the top rim whenever I fill it up, so I'll be upgrading soon to no less then 100g.

Back
Top Bottom