Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

75 gallon reef, 3rd floor apartment - bad combo?

I'm interested in doing a 75 gallon reef tank in my 3rd floor apartment.

I'd love to have like a 10-20 gal refugium in the bottom of the stand.

I am terrified of water leaks (for obvious reasons). Is the 'fuge a bad idea? Should I get a drilled tank? I mean, what if the power goes out - will gravity push the 75 gal of water into the fuge and out all overt the floor?

I was going to do a 55, but for the same wallspace I could put more fish in a 75.

What say you, aquatic type people?

Old 12-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Drilled is the way to go and leaks are very rare since the overflow within the tank would have to be clogged which is easily preventable. Overflows are about an inch below the top of tank so if power goes out then only an inch can drain.

You're talking about 600+ lbs of tank either way you go. Have you checked with your landlord that it's OK?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd

You're talking about 600+ lbs of tank either way you go. Have you checked with your landlord that it's OK?
Absolutely not.

I didn't check to see if my 55gal FW tank was okay for the last 2 years......but I sold it before we moved to this apt at the beginning of the month so I could do a SW reef.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Is it a concrete floor or wood? Most floors can handle the load but I'd make sure first before it goes crashing through the floor.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Overflows are about an inch below the top of tank so if power goes out then only an inch can drain.
I was going to say the same thing that the water can only drop as much as the the top of the bulkhead or overflow. Just make sure that the floor can handle that much weight.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Just make sure that the floor can handle that much weight.
I would have no reservations about having 3 250 lb. guys sit on my couch at the same time, I think it'll be cool. I never had a problem with my 55 FW and it didn't even permanently compress the carpet.

Besides, I have renter's insurance.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:07 PM   #7

Agreed on the RR tank.

Try to get the tank set up on a load bearing wall. I have a 110 total omn the 6th floor but it is concrete.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearerphish
Quote:
Just make sure that the floor can handle that much weight.
I would have no reservations about having 3 250 lb. guys sit on my couch at the same time, Besides, I have renter's insurance.
But how long would they be sitting there if it is a load bearing wall you should be fine . Do take into consideration the age of the building , flooring and whether it is an even floor . Also have back up should you have a leak to evacuate the water to a tote or two ... I agree if you tell the land lord you could be asking for problems .... The way we did it was under 10 could not be considered water furniture which is strickly prohibited . Also check your insurance to make sure that it covers that kind of damage. Also increase it a bit to cover any neighbors should it leak this way they wont likely sue you if you flood them
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
I have renter's insurance.
Make sure you check that as well. Some have clauses and I know most will cover the damage of property if there is no negligence but will not cover tank/livestolk costs of course.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i have my set up on the second floor only water and 15 pnds of lr but not finished yet never was a prob for mine as long as not a really old building probly you will be okay. theres a reason floors are built the way they are as for spills had a fw for a year and a half until last week if its hardwood problably okay ( with experience syphoned out 30 galons of water on the floor because my wife wanted to see me in the bedroom no coment ill leave it at that never heard about any problems with the unit underneath.)

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com