75 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joekpayne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am building my first sw tank. I am starting this thread to hopefully gain some knowledge from all of you along the way and share my experience with you as well. I really enjoy reading through other people's build thread but don't usually post. Hopefully with this thread I'll come out of my shell.:hide:

My plans have been to start with a FOWLR but progress towards a reef tank. I'd really like to have a good amount of fish but I am also fascinated by coral. I'd like to give myself the options of having reef but not planning dropping a ton in initially. I am trying to keep my fish options to reef friendly.

So heres what I'm working with currently.

-75 gal (drilled) tank
-Aqueon proflex model 3 sump
-Mag 7 return pump
-(2)Jager 150W heaters
-(2)Koralia evolution 1050 powerheads
-api saltwater master test kit
-Black wood stand
-RO/DI unit bought off ebay

What I still need
-Lighting- picking up Aquaticlife 4 lamp T5HO 48" this weekend- used from cl
-Live rock
-Substrate- need some help with that. I've been looking at marcorocks.com they seem to have good prices
-Protein Skimmer- not sure yet, but I think I'd like SWC 160-Opinions?
-Livestock- really want a manderin dragonet, percula clown, fairy wrasse, watchman goby, coral beauty, kole tang
-Inverts- havn't looked into enough to have prelim list.

I have gotten my tank setup with almost all of the plumbing complete. I have assembled the durso standpipe and really impressed how quiet everything is on my first (wet) run. The plumbing connecting the drain to the sump is where I am a little frustrated right now. I dont want to use all slip fittings and have everything glued perm. if I ever want to be able to move/adjust the sump. I have such a short run under the tank to the sump it just seemed to make the most sense. I'd like to squeeze a union in there if possible. I'll post pics tomorrow.
On the return pump I'm just using 3/4" flex line. It'll be easy enough to change in the future if I decide I'm not happy with that.

This seems to be a long initial post so I'll end it now. I will update as things progress. I will post lots of pics along the way as well.

A couple pics of the tank and stand. I put 3 coats of polyacrylic on the inside of the stand and painted the back of the tank with rustoleum latex black semigloss.

I've also got a couple pics of the plumbing before I had hooked everything up. I know the drain pipe is too short in the pic but that was just set in there to see if everything wild line up. Anyone have any other suggestions on what to do with drain pipe fittings?

Attachments

• image-1341117887.jpg
    image-1341117887.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image-38437427.jpg
    image-38437427.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2006149294.jpg
    image-2006149294.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image-919624462.jpg
    image-919624462.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 90
Looks good. I have close to the same set up on my 75... I have the proflex 4 though the only think I wish I did was run it berlin style, and put my skimmer in the middle compartment and made a fuge one myself in there b4 the return. I don't think I will ever have enough pods with my skimmer after the fuge or just be hard to

warning coral beauty picks at corals. not every one does but you've got a 50/50(some would say worse) of a dwarf angel picking at corals

That is good to know about the coral beauty, thanks. Would it make any difference if I added the coral beauty before coral? just wondering if it would decrease chances of them nipping.

I just picked up a union from homedepot today and plan on trying it out.

That is good to know about the coral beauty, thanks. Would it make any difference if I added the coral beauty before coral? just wondering if it would decrease chances of them nipping.

I just picked up a union from homedepot today and plan on trying it out.

not really. they're just prone to nipping. like I said it's not a 100% chance but it's good enough that if the dwarf angel isn't a MUST that you should probably think about skipping it.

Today felt like Christmas. It's all coming together. Got my power heads and a second heater. I'll be moving the tank inside from the garage in a couple days. It'll be nice to have inside parking back. It's hot.

Pretty much just need to get live rock and substrate. And skimmer but I may cycle the tank without the skimmer. I think I'm going to go bb in the fuge and 1-2" sand mixture of coarse and sugar fine in display.

Does anyone have suggestions where to put the heaters in the sump? Should I put them with the fuge or the last chamber where the skimmer and pump will be? Maybe it doesn't matter at all.

Also curious whether it matters if I run the filter socks. I was thinking of putting rubble rock in the first and second chamber. If I use the socks how often should they be washed?

Attachments

• image-1380623473.jpg
    image-1380623473.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image-2069463322.jpg
    image-2069463322.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image-4040461382.jpg
    image-4040461382.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image-1889450596.jpg
    image-1889450596.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 94
Just a pic of the final overflow plumbing. I did put the union in there and I think it'll make it much easier to work on if need be.

Attachments

• image-102222685.jpg
    image-102222685.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2737124190.jpg
    image-2737124190.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 82
The sock need to be replaced or washed about once a week.

I just swish them around in with my water changed bucket after I do it and try to get anything that didn't fall out by using my hands. Cleans it good enough I think

Filter socks sure does help keep your water cleaner. Its your only mechanical filter. Heater placement is up to you as long as both of them are submerged in water.

Back
Top Bottom