Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

75 gallon reef build

I was going to do this build back in the fall of last year, it was going to be a upgrade build from a 20 Long but the tank had crashed due to my stupidity of doing a water change and accidentally pouring a whole 5 gallon bucket of straight ro/di water into the tank. So now I am back to the beginning.

I already have a couple of things for the tank from recent tanks, I have one 120W dimmable led, roughly 40lbs of dry rock (needs some cleaning), 200W aqueon heater rated for 75G, Koralia 550 (flow behind the rocks), and a lifereef slimline overflow. I went ahead and purchased a Jebao WP-25 and I have got to say I put it in the 20 long and my god is this thing powerful, water was flying out of the tank. I'm going to go with 60lbs of sand and purchase 50lbs of live rock.

I'm going with a diy sump/refugium made out of the 20 gallon, I'm going to have 3 chambers the inlet where my protein skimmer will be, refugium, then return. I'm going to make the inlet as small as I can so I can still fit the protein skimmer in, then the refugium will be majority of the tank, and about a 8 inch return section.

I'm going to get another 120W dimmable led, and also get a Bubble Magus Curve 5, a Mag 9.5 for the return, a dual media reactor for gfo and carbon, JBJ ato, and a couple misc. items.

If I may be missing something let me know.

,Thanks

Old 06-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Be sure to see if the skimmers footprint is compadible with the sump you want.
also make sure the the baffle will not be so high the water in the sump can,t clear it to the return pump chamber.There needs to be plenty of water in the pump chamber to keep it from running too low and burning your pump up. This chamber is the first one to run lowest.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the advice, I plan to get the skimmer first and then build the sump so I know it will fit. For the baffles I'm not sure if I want to go with three baffles going from the refugium to the return or just two, I'm only using two for the inlet going to the refugium.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

The absolutely only things those baffles do is keep the air bubbles out of your tank. Everything else is design.
Are you using acrylic or glass for your sump?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Glass, I think two from the inlet to refugium is good and two going from refugium to return.
Does anyone have experience with One Spot FoxFace in a reef tank? I heard they tend to tear up zoas.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I got the sand and what I had for dry rock in the tank. Filled the tank and still waiting on my dry rock from saltwater fish.com. I screwed up and didn't think about how I was going to get the sump/refugium inside the stand. I haven't tried it yet but I don't think it's going to go in. I'm think I'm going to have to drain the tank pull it forward and have someone put it down through the top of the stand.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had to take extreme measures. I didnt want to cut a door in the side. I made a cut across the center of the cabinet to allow me to work in there any time i want to without having to remove the tank off of the stand..I have installed 2 metal straps across the back of the front to give me better stability than I had in the first place. The cut not conspicuous at all.
Here's a shot of what I did not do. This is the way to stand was when I purchased it. I cut the front center out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0185.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	241182
Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/zDq1XocSBh4/hqdefault.jpg
My stand is like that minus the canopy. I do have a center brace in the back and middle I have fish in quarantine at the moment in the 20 long so it will be about a month before I build my sump and try to get it in through the doors.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I may have changed my mind on my skimmer I'm not sure yet. I was going to purchase a bubble magus curve 5 but I may end up buying a reef octopus NWB150 6" rated up to 150 gallons. Anyone have any recommendations that'd be appreciated.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO Reef octopus is better then bubble magus

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build, gallon, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com