Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question 75 gallon reef lighting

I am new to this hobby and starting my first saltwater reef tank. Currently I have a 75 gallon tank. I am being very patient and getting all the supplies that I need before even attempting to start everything. I have been researching like crazy and what I still can't seem to decide on is lighting. I am going to stick to LPS and soft corals. This is what I am looking at right now. My LFS has a used unit (not sure of the brand)that is 48" long that has 4 PC and 2 MH. The other option I was looking at was AquaticLife T5 HO 4-Lamp Light Fixtures w/ Lunar LEDs. I guess my question is, if faced with the choice what would be the best option?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The metal halide fixture would be a better fit for a 75 IMO. 2 150+watt halides with PCs for actinic supplementation should be fine.

Having started out with a 4 bulb t-5 fixture on my 75, albeit a cheap one, I wouldn't recommend it. I would look for a 6 bulb fixture to take care of The needs you are looking for.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #3

Thanks for your opinion. I was thinking the MH fixture myself, just really couldn't decide. I'm getting it at a great price too, so that is a plus. I am new to all of this so I am just trying to get a feel for what is the best for long term use.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Great prices are always a win. Make sure to ask them how old the halide bulbs are since it is used. Either that, or just spring for new ones to be safe.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would think twice about the mh lighting, with the depth of that tank Iwould think a 250watt halide would be a better choice. I ran a single 150watt over a 20g tank and wasnt impressed.....
Old 07-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I would think twice about the mh lighting, with the depth of that tank Iwould think a 250watt halide would be a better choice. I ran a single 150watt over a 20g tank and wasnt impressed.....

The lighting fixture would be 4 PC with 2 250W halides in the same unit. Any advice is helpful!

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, gallon, light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com