Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
75 Gallon tank setup journal

So for Christmas my DH bought for me a group of used tanks. 3x 75, 3x 29, and a 55 that needs resealing (probably will become a terrarium/Palundarium).

ONE of the 75 gallon tanks is going to become a Saltwater tank**. So, I want very much to do this right and will be posting here as I get things setup and running.

Input is HIGHLY appreciated (and encouraged)!

I have a nice sump/trickle and a HOB overflow. Decent light for fish-only. Can add a second T5 if needed, though - eventually I'd like to upgrade to a pair of 60deg LED pucks (in time) [brand name escapes me].

My goal is to have a collection of colorful fish which get along - my list includes Yellow Tang (a personal favorite), a clownfish, pygmy angel, I would like a mandarin but understand I may have to wait until I get a reef setup for a mandarin to be happy, a number of invertebrates if possible. Gobies would be awesome as well. I want colorful, spritely, community fish. I'd also like the fish to be reef compatable so in the future* when the tank is moved I can update/upgrade to a reef tank and house the same fish in the improved tank.

I'd like a small refugium with macro algae, one of the 29 gallon tanks may be used for this next to the wet/dry under the main tank.

I have also considered sectioning off a part of the tank as a 'calm' section where I can raise dwarf seahorses, perhaps an end? Sand and turtle grass in this section with some additional macro algae for hitching posts.

I have lots of ideas, and am having a time of it making final decisions.

Help! and Thanks!!

*We will be moving in one to two years; THIS is the primary reason I am sticking with fish-only right now.

**I had a 5 gal nanoreef that was stable for 2 years before I moved and left the tank in my mom's care for three weeks ... not sure what she did (or didn't do) but it collapsed two weeks after I left.

NonazARk is offline   Reply With Quote

5 gallon, 75 gallon, 75 gallon tank, gallon, journal, setup, tan, tank, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com