75 predatory tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiltymj

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all so I'm in the middle of setting up a 75 gallon reef and I have another 75 that I am now planning on making into a predatory tank. What kind of fish could I put in there? I know I should research and I'm going to but I was just wondering if anyone had anything like this that they could tell me about

just be careful with your selection because alot of the "predatory" fish are not reef safe... so if you ever plan on housing corals, alot of these fish will eat them:( another important aspect is inverts, triggers and lions for the most part will destroy and eat almost any invert.

huma-huma said:
just be careful with your selection because alot of the "predatory" fish are not reef safe... so if you ever plan on housing corals, alot of these fish will eat them:( another important aspect is inverts, triggers and lions for the most part will destroy and eat almost any invert.

Don't forget puffers!

Ya I'm in the process of building my reef tank this is just an idea for the other 75 gallon tank that I have. So no corals will be added to this one just the reef and ya water changes are no problem. I'm not planning on doing a puffer but I would like to keep some kind of trigger

stay away from the queen,titan,niger, and clown triggers, they all get 12+ inches in length just too big for a 75 unfortunately. oh and if you do get a trigger, keep a very close eye on him when you stick your hand in the tank. both of my triggers dont even hesitate for a second when i stick a finger or hand in there.

ive heard that there are certain shrimp that predator fish usually stay away from, cant remember what kind though:(

I would consider my hawkfish, snowflake eel, maroon clown, comet, and filefish, somewhat reef safe, just dont drop a shrimp in there.... hermits are ok if you watch them and ive had to banish a few to the sump. They all leave my pencil urchin alone.

tdwright1971 said:
I would consider my hawkfish, snowflake eel, maroon clown, comet, and filefish, somewhat reef safe, just dont drop a shrimp in there.... hermits are ok if you watch them and ive had to banish a few to the sump. They all leave my pencil urchin alone.

Those are definitely all reef safe in that they don't eat coral.

Back
Top Bottom