75 reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiltymj

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I finally decided to get a bigger tank and do a 75 saltwater tank. I just have a couple questions

I want corals and nems. What kind of light do I need that will work well for that. I already have a 2 bulb T5 HO but how much more do I need?

Can I do a copper banded butterfly?
I know to use them in reefs with caution. But they are one of my favorites. Or does he get to big?

That's all for now. Thank you!

Info from Live Aquaria.com
QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons Care Level: Difficult Temperament: Peaceful Reef Compatible: With Caution Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025 Max. Size: 8" Color Form: Orange, White, Yellow Diet: Carnivore Compatibility: View Chart Origin: Australia, Indonesia, Melanesia, Papua New Guinea, Singapore Family: Chaetodontidae
What do these Quick Stats mean? Click here
overview
The Copperband Butterflyfish, also known as the Beaked Butterflyfish, Beaked Coralfish, or Orange Stripe Butterfly, has a long, narrow nose and mouth used for hunting into crevices and holes for food. The Copperband Butterflyfish has yellow-orange vertical bands with a black edging. It has a false eyespot on the rear of the dorsal fin. This is a difficult fish to mistake for any other. It is best housed in very large reefs, or in peaceful community tanks. It should be kept singly, not with conspecifics or similar butterflyfish, and should not be kept with any stress-inducing fish. Caution should be exercised if housing these fish in a reef aquarium. They may pick on invertebrates, especially anemones and feather dusters. They are an excellent fish when used to control aiptasia, or glass anemones, in the reef aquarium.
The Copperband Butterflyfish is a difficult fish to feed; it is a shy and deliberate feeder that may need a variety of foods offered to it in order to start feeding.
Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 1-1/2" to 2-1/4"; Medium: 2-1/4" to 3-1/2"; Large: 3-1/2" to 4-1/2"

Why thank you. Ha I was just looking at that when I saw your reply on my phone

I been passin around the liveaquaria link like its going outta style :) in terms of bulbs, for good solid penetration, you'd prob wanna look at a 6-8 bulb t5 setup...I know its a lot but to give you wider options in both types of corals and depths at which you can keep them, 6-8 bulb setup will do you wonders

Ok so if I just kept the two bulb on there and then bought another 4bulb I should be ok for the most part

I'm not looking to to and hard corals as of now. Maybe later some kind of brain coral would be cool but in not worried about it now

Its a good idea to try and plan ahead, if you are thinkin of moving onto higher-light corals at some point down the road, mine as well get the right equipment now, rather then buy something inadequate now and have to buy the right equipment later

6 lamp T5HO, and you can house any anemone and coral you want, make sure you have individual lamp reflectors though

Ok cool I know exactly what your talking about. Would I be able to do a clam with that set up? I know I need to feed them certain foods and stuff but I've never been sure about what kind of light I would need.

yes you would be able to, but remember its not just lights that keep tem all alive and healthy, its also water perameteres

as low as possible, and with stable bacteria colonies.

you want to keep ammonia nitrite and phosphates at 0ppm and nitrates at about 5ppm

Clams also need calcium, most people dont need to add any as its in your salt mix. Some tanks with a high demand for calc need to supplement.

this is true also, most SPS do require alot of calcium and trace elements, but you can do regular waterchanges or if that doesn't work there are dosing pumps

Back
Top Bottom