Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

So does anyone have any thoughts on the live rock? How long can I keep it in that holding tank?

It's in a 55G, with 3 1000gph circulation pumps creating a lot of flow. And it's in my garage, so temperature is right around 85.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How long until youre ready to put it in your tank? The rock is pretty much cycling the water in the tank its in. The sooner the better to get it into your tank. But it can stay in the 55g for awhile.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
How long until youre ready to put it in your tank? The rock is pretty much cycling the water in the tank its in. The sooner the better to get it into your tank. But it can stay in the 55g for awhile.
Well I've got some guys who are probably going to be setting it up for me. They're coming either Monday or Tuesday, so hopefully it'll be alright.

They're charging me $100 for setting up the plumbing, rockscaping, and filling the tank. Seemed like a fair price to me, and I've seen their work before and they're awesome with setting up the rocks. What do you guys think?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If they guarantee their work then its probably money well spent. Just watch and ask questions as they do it so you know what goes on in the setup in case of future issues. You dont wanna have to pay someone everytime you wanna do something and you need to know the setup afterall its your system.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh yea definitely. I don't want to have to be paying someone anytime I want to work on it, I just figured it might be worth it for the start-up.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sounds like a plan if youre that anxious about flooding and other concerns. At least you don't have to stress the setup like I am. LOL

Ask as many questions as you can and hover over them if you have to so you cna see exactly what they are doing. For $100bucks they shouldnt mind too much. The rockwork you'll probably change around but the actual plumbing is where you wanna know EVERY little thing.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Sounds like a plan if youre that anxious about flooding and other concerns. At least you don't have to stress the setup like I am. LOL

Ask as many questions as you can and hover over them if you have to so you cna see exactly what they are doing. For $100bucks they shouldnt mind too much. The rockwork you'll probably change around but the actual plumbing is where you wanna know EVERY little thing.
Haha thanks for the advice! I've shadowed with plenty of doctors, so I'm pretty good at observing while keeping out of the way. I don't think the setup will be all that complicated, but the idea of a flood is rather terrifying lol.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patterson333 View Post
Haha thanks for the advice! I've shadowed with plenty of doctors, so I'm pretty good at observing while keeping out of the way. I don't think the setup will be all that complicated, but the idea of a flood is rather terrifying lol.
Had a small flood last night. Didn't loose much water and I got it fixtured but now I have Trust Issues with my canister.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99

Had a small flood last night. Didn't loose much water and I got it fixtured but now I have Trust Issues with my canister.
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Seems like the occasional flood is tough to avoid. Even though my systems going to be set up by guys who set up multiple tanks a week, I haven't fooled myself into thinking I'll never have a flood. Human error and/or system failures are tough to prepare for.

I once forgot to close the "In" valve on one of my FX5's when doing maintenance. Needless to say, towels were used lol.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

We paid someone to set up our seventy-five because we bought it used and had no clue. It was well worth it.

Tags
75g, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com