Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch View Post
im calling the overflow to the sump the supply line.

caution because if your return from your pump back to the tank is not EXACTLY balanced (same flow to and from) with your supply you can flood.
Ah, makes sense, thanks! I might still have it on there, but just always have it either completely open, or completely closed (i.e. when I'm going to perform maintenance in the sump and I don't want water flowing in.).

I'm really hoping I won't be faced with a flood. My supply line has a built in siphon break, which will hopefully work

Old 09-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmm, the more I look into it, the better this flexible PVC is looking. I think I might pick some up tomorrow. Thanks carey!

Once all is said and done I'll just go back to home depot and return anything I didn't use.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update! So the guy came over today, and we worked for hours on the tank. I had a feeling that I would want to rearrange the rock, but he did such a gorgeous job that I don't want to mess with it lol.

Oh, we also set up the return pump plumbing, and put the union valve between the ball and pump (thanks coffeetwitch!)

I would take a photo, but it's completely cloudy due to the sand.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well, now that we all know its done you come and say no photos? Shame !! LOL

Waiting patiently for the pcitures.....
Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

take it anyway!!!!

oh and your welcome but that lil bit of info i cannot take full credit for, i forgot who i read say that. this is a great sight!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha you guys sure are persistent. Anyways, here's some photos of the tank itself. I promise somewhere underneath that murky mess, there's some live rock lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-669722053.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	51678

Here's a photo of the sump. I ended up going with a dsb, it's about 6" in depth, and I ended up using live sand as opposed to pfs. Those of you with a keen eyesight might notice that my temp is way up at 84. He filled it with water that's been sitting in his van all day, so I'm really hoping it'll go down. Otherwise I might consider an in-line pump.

Name:	image-3775323807.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	51681

Oh and here's an image of the return plumbing. I think he did a really nice job. Everything's neat and fairly simple. I watched him like a hawk the whole time, so I know how the setup works.

Name:	image-1047899641.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	51682

And here's a photo of my return area, with that cleverly placed union jack. He also proposed this idea which hadn't occurred to me, which was to put a piece of gym mat rubber under the pump to reduce noise. It was brilliant! Pump doesn't make a sound. Time will tell how much heat it adds...

Name:	image-3312831462.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	51683

Oh and lastly, he said my live rock is going to need to cure for quite a while, and the smell might be ungodly during that time, so he suggested I run carbon in the sump for a while.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks user friendly! LOL Nice setup.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

great set up. dont worry about the live sand. it will do it on its own. lr is more important than live sand.

thanks for the pictures! now we can see how fast sand will settle. mine always settled fast in all my tanks.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh and dont stress too much about the smell. ours didnt. if it came from a curing tank then i think you should be ok.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
oh and dont stress too much about the smell. ours didnt. if it came from a curing tank then i think you should be ok.
I'm really hoping smell won't be an issue, but my live rock is very "uncured" which causes me to worry. And leads me to another question.

The guy who was setting it up for me recommended I go out and buy myself a massive CUC and put them in during the curing process. He said they would help dispose of decaying matter, though he also warned me that some might die off due to the harsh conditions. What do you guys think I should do? Is it wise to get a CUC during curing/cycling? Or should I wait?

Tags
75g, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com