Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea, meant to do that Sat night when I did the water change and forgot. Also forgot to rinse out the filter sponges on my pumps. Guess I need to make a checklist. My plan is to do water changes every 2 weeks. I may need to go every week until the nitrates go down.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Regular

Some more questions: A friend gave me a small yellow coral (some type of sun coral), a red mushroom, a green mushroom, and some zoanthids. Any advice on where to place them in the tank (high, low, lots of water flow, little water flow, etc)? I have the yellow coral about mid-level in a low flow area. The zonathids are also mid-level one in a low-flow area and one in a high-flow area. The mushrooms are both low in the tank in a medium flow area. Not sure I'm ready for these yet, but I got them yesterday and they seem to be doing okay. I also got a baby brittle starfish that hitched a ride with the coral. I'll post pics if I can.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
the mushrooms and zoanthids are going to move until they find a play they like and do you have a picture of the yellow coral????
Old 11-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #94
AA Team Emeritus

Remind me what kinda lights you have. And if those new corals are acclimated and OK for a couple of days, they should be alright with the lighting. Just don't put any of them in very low to dead flow areas. All of them like some movement to clean themselves and get food from the water. I put my zoas up high under MH lighting and they did well. Move them up over time if you want. Mushrooms are VERY hardy and can take almost anything IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
+1 mine they moved until they found a place where they like
Old 11-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamavelar View Post
the mushrooms and zoanthids are going to move until they find a play they like and do you have a picture of the yellow coral????
Coral can't move. The shrooms may detach and get blow around in the current until they reattach somewhere else, but other than that it can't move so they will need to be moved by us to the locations that are best. Anemones do move around to a spot of their liking though.

With the sun coral, if that actually is sun coral, it will need to be target fed. They also need to be placed in shady areas with high flow. HTH.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

well the ones i got were not attached to anything
Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Remind me what kinda lights you have. And if those new corals are acclimated and OK for a couple of days, they should be alright with the lighting. Just don't put any of them in very low to dead flow areas. All of them like some movement to clean themselves and get food from the water. I put my zoas up high under MH lighting and they did well. Move them up over time if you want. Mushrooms are VERY hardy and can take almost anything IMO.
I have a 48" Nova Extreme fixture with 2 10K daylights, 2 acitinics, and moon lights. The corals don't look so good - just a little yellow on the end - but everything else seems to be doing fine.

Did a water test tonight: Ammonia & Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 20, ph = 8.4, SG = 1.022, temp = 80.4. I'm not so sure about the SG reading: I'm using one of the plastice Instant Ocean hydrometers. I think bubbles get stuck on the float and screw up the readings. I probably should get a refractometer.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil View Post
With the sun coral, if that actually is sun coral, it will need to be target fed. They also need to be placed in shady areas with high flow. HTH.
Thanks Thom. I moved the coral under an overhang with good flow. We'll see how it does. Kind of hard to get a pic but I'll try. What should I feed it?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

A mix of frozen foods like enriched mysis and brine. Someone else can chime in as I'm not exactly sure on that.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
75g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com