Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #111
Aquarium Advice Regular

Refugium Question

So right now my refugium has a bunch of chaeto in it. What else could/should I add to it? Should I put a couple snails down there? Crabs? LR rubble?

Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #112
AA Team Emeritus

I liked crabs in mine. Emerald green or small hermits. Definitely LR rubble.

You just have chaeto and that's all? I did about an inch and a half of Miracle Mud, topped off with a half inch of sand, and LR rubble. The sides will get kinda cruddy after a while and viewing won't be as easy, but I'd just scape it once. I also put an urchin down there when I found it as a hitch hiker in my main.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #113
AA Team Emeritus

This is how I started my fuge. :p Even had a featherduster there. I just loved the notion of having all that life down there. But after a while, it got crowded after I threw everything I didn't want in my main down there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sept 16 06 tank 023.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	21900  

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 12-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Ray. I've got chaeto and about 3" of "live" sand but nothing else. If I put crabs down there, do I have to feed them? I'll have to find somewhere to get LR rubble. And, do I have to cure it separately?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #115
AA Team Emeritus

There'll be plenty of food that runs thru the overflow to the fuge. They'll get plenty of food without any extra from you.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question Test Kits?

Right now all I'm testing for is Ammonia, pH, Nitrite, and Nitrate. What else should I test? Phophate? Calcium? Carbonate? And any recommendations on test kits? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:27 AM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you go grab the API Reef Master test kit, you have the main parameters that need to be tested in a reef setup along with ammonia, ph, nitrite and nitrate from your other test kit. HTH.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Thom. Ordered it today.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
There'll be plenty of food that runs thru the overflow to the fuge. They'll get plenty of food without any extra from you.
Ray, two questions: I turn my return pump off when I feed. Will I still get enough food into the fuge to feed a couple of crabs? Also, if I add LR rubble to the fuge, do I need to cure it separately, or is there enough bacteria in the tank now to handle the inevitable die off if I put it straight into the tank? I'm thinking about 10 lbs of LR rubble, maybe more. (My tank has 40 lbs of LR and 70 lbs of dry rock. It's been up for about 3 months.)
Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #120
AA Team Emeritus

I never turned my main off when feeding. Why do you do that? Try just turning the powerheads off when feeding instead.

If you think they'll starve, add a couple of pellets to the sump for'm to eat on. Add rubble slowly and test for ammonia. Should be OK, but test to be sure. If there's a lot of die off on the rock, there may be problems, otherwise I'm guessing you'll be OK to add the entire 10 lbs.

Tags
75g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com