Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #121
Aquarium Advice Regular

I read somewhere to turn the return off to keep food from getting into the sump, but if I'm trying to feed something in the sump then I guess it makes sense to leave it on. I've been leaving the powerheads on, to move the food around. Guess I've been doing it backwards . Not the first time, nor the last.

My son's nano should be ready to add LR later this week, so I'll order it in the next few days and get it all done at once. Cool.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #122
AA Team Emeritus

The bacteria on the live rock down there will also need an ammonia source to consume, hence letting the food run thru it IMO.

My powerheads were always equipped with a feeder button to shut them down while feeding. The return flow kept the food moving around the main enuf.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #123
Aquarium Advice Regular

Updated Pics

I haven't posted any pics in a while so I thought I'd put some up . The tank has been up since Oct. I had a cyano or diatom bloom but that is just about gone. Water test last night showed pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate all good. Expanded test kit (phospates, etc) is on order.

Livestock right now is:

2 Clownfish
3 PJ Cardinals (had 5 but lost 2 somehow)
1 Feather Duster
2 Sally Lightfoot Crabs (that are getting pretty big)
3 Porcelain Crabs
1 Serpent Starfish
1 Emerald Crab
3 Red Leg Hermit Crabs
Many Nerite & Nassarius Snails and small Hermit Crabs

I've also got some zoas, a red mushroom and a green mushroom, and a leather toadstool. (At least, that's what I think they are - a friend gave them to me and I forgot what he told me.)

Now for the pics:

Full Tank Shot
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full Tank Shot.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	22042

Clown (and snail)

Name:	Clown and Snail.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	22043

Zoas

Name:	Zoas.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	22044

Red Mushroom

Name:	Mushroom.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	22045

Trying to decide what's next. I think a cleaner shrimp of some kind and probably a tang. Thoughts and comments appreciated.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #124
AA Team Emeritus

I'd do 3 cleaner shrimp. They seem to come out more feeling more safety in numbers.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #125
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks. Any particular kind you recommend? I've seen Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp - they look cool. The LFS sells Peppermint Shrimp. Any recommendations?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #126
AA Team Emeritus

The skunk (gold, red, and white) cost less than the scarlet (red). Either that strikes your fancy would do. Don't ask me to explain why, but my scarlets always lived longer than the skunks. The peppermints stay hidden an awful lot and only seemed to serve the purpose of aptasia munchers anyway for most. Peps aren't cleaners. Didja know that a cleaner shrimp will actually clean the other fish by either setting up a "cleaning station" that fish would swim to and just lay there as the shrimp picks things from their body? I've actually seen a fish lay motionless while a cleaner shrimp holds them and flips them over and over whilst picking from the body and open mouth.

My cleaner shrimp would clean my arms or hands when they went into the tank.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #127
Aquarium Advice Regular

Angry Aggressive Clownfish

When I got my clownfish (three weeks ago or so) I got two, one slightly larger than the other one. Now the larger one is very aggressively chasing the smaller one all over the tank almost constantly. Anything I can do to make it stop? (So far saying "Stop" doesn't appear to work. The fish listens as well as my dog, or my kids.)
Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #128
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad & Matt View Post
When I got my clownfish (three weeks ago or so) I got two, one slightly larger than the other one. Now the larger one is very aggressively chasing the smaller one all over the tank almost constantly. Anything I can do to make it stop? (So far saying "Stop" doesn't appear to work. The fish listens as well as my dog, or my kids.)

Normal behaviour, The bigger one is letting the little one know that its going to be the female. My 2 did it for about 3 days, Then after that they didnt spend much time together, Now you cannot separate them. Both hosting a Carpet Anemone and in Love. Haha.

But yeah, If they dont fix it themself, Maybe get rid of the small one and buy a smaller one if possible.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #129
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool - thanks. They're also looking like they're trying to host my feather duster. I know they say to wait a year but I may get an anemone for them.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice Regular

I guess it got to be too much for the little guy: I found him (alive) in the overflow this afternoon.

Name:	Nemo in Overflow.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	22066

I guess we really do have to call him Nemo now.

Tags
75g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com