Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
is back to save the day!

I don't use eggcrate and i know a lot of people that don't. As long as you have a decently deep sandbed, the rocks won't have enough force to break the glass beneath the sand if they happen to fall because the water will slow them down. I have dropped a pretty large sized piece of fiji live rock from the very top of my tank, and when it hit my sandbed.. it hardly even made a dent in the sand. I have a 2.5" sandbed so if you have that or around that you should be fine. Anything less and i would be a little concerned. But hitting the sides of the tank is a different story. And that's why a sturdy formation is necessary.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you were really paranoid about them falling and breaking the glass, you could silicone the rocks together, but it makes re-aquascaping a pain.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I keep my LR on the back glass. It helps to force the fish to swim out front. I also agree that the eggcrate in the sand is not needed. The sand will hold it enough. Good luck on the build and enjoy the ride.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Does anyone know anything about "The Package" from Tampa Bay Saltwater? That's where I got my dry rock, and I like it. He sells a package deal (LR, sand, crabs, starfish, etc) that looks pretty good. I'd be interested if anyone has any experience with it. Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock - The Package

Because I already have 50 lbs of dry rock I was thinking of getting his 50G package (which includes 100 lbs of live rock).
Old 10-16-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad & Matt View Post
Does anyone know anything about "The Package" from Tampa Bay Saltwater? That's where I got my dry rock, and I like it. He sells a package deal (LR, sand, crabs, starfish, etc) that looks pretty good. I'd be interested if anyone has any experience with it. Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock - The Package

Because I already have 50 lbs of dry rock I was thinking of getting his 50G package (which includes 100 lbs of live rock).
That seems like the best start I have ever seen to a new tank. It would be like taking a chunk of the ocean floor and putting it in your tank.

The Pluses:
1. lots of live critters to discover on the rock and sand
2. virtually no cycle with the rock and sand being harvested and shiped air freight same day.

The Minuses:
1. 50 gal package costs around $850 plus at least another $300 in shipping!!!! (1150)
2. lots of love critters to discover on the rock and sand. we do not want everything in the ocean in our reef aquariums. i.e. aptasia, some crabs

Stay away from the cucumbers they will nuke your entire tank if they die. 50 hermits and 50-100 snails seems excessive. peppermints like to be in groups of 3 or more. you will never see 1 but 3-4 will be out all the time.

Here is a picture of my tank. It is about 9 months old. I have about $1100 in it including all equipment, lights, LR, sand, fish, corals, inverts..... EVERYTHING. Started with about 25lbs LR and 25lbs base and 25 lbs of sand. nothing fancy, no skimmer just HOB filters filled with LR. This hobby does not have to be expensive for great results
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2009, 12:40 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks everyone for the advice. :p I think I'm going to take the eggcrate out, order another 25lbs of dry rock and then 50lbs of LR, or maybe just 75lbs of LR. Still working that out. I've heard good things about LiveAquaria.com.

Another question: I've got a lot of what I think are microbubbles in my tank from the return. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? I think it's because there are lots of bubbles in my sump, but not sure how to get rid of those, either. (I'll try to post pics of my sump tomorrow; having camera troubles today.)

And one other question: My sump is set up for a fuge. What kind of lighting does it need?
Old 10-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad & Matt View Post
Another question: I've got a lot of what I think are microbubbles in my tank from the return. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? I think it's because there are lots of bubbles in my sump, but not sure how to get rid of those, either. (I'll try to post pics of my sump tomorrow; having camera troubles today.)

And one other question: My sump is set up for a fuge. What kind of lighting does it need?
Without seeing or understanding your sump layout it would be difficult to advise. However, I'm going to bet that you do not have a "bubble Trap" in the 1st chamber. The water coming from the DT is pouring into the sump and makes lots of bubbles. Those bubbles are making it to the return pump which are blowing them back up to the DT.

Post a pic or explain the sump layout and we can advise.

FYI - I do NOT have a bubble Trap in my sump/fuge and I need to use a filter sock on the hose. It virtually stops all Microbubbles in my tank. But I have to change it quite often.

As far as a light for the fuge, I'm all about DIY. I found a link on the web and built a DIY fuge light for about $20. I'll search for the link and post it here
Old 10-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question

Pics of the sump below. (And one pic of "helper dog" Lily. She insists on being right in the middle of everything. )

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sump1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	21110

Name:	Sump2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	21111

Name:	Helper Dog (Lily).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	21112

Not the best pics - I need some lighting under the tank. I used a 20G tank for the sump. As you look at the pic, fuge is on the left, return pump is in the middle, skimmer is on the right. Overflow from the tank goes into fuge and into skimmer section. Return pump send water into tank and into skimmer section (so I can control flow back into tank without restricting the pump output). Comments appreciated.

I've decided to add 75 lbs of live rock to the 50 lbs of dry rock. Still looking for a place to order the LR. Another question: Once I get the LR, my plan is to rinse it off by swishing it around in SW and squirting it with a clean squirt bottle to try to get rid of dead critters and otehr stuff. Because I have a new tank set-up I can then just put it right into the tank, right? And how long after that should I wait to add the clean-up crew.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a bubble trap between the skimmer section and the return. Hard to see in the pics. I have a drawing that I'll find and post.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, here's the drawing of the sump. I have a bubble trap between the skimmer and the return but not between the fuge and the return. When I look in the return section with a flashlight there really aren't that many bubbles.

Name:	Sump Drawing.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	21113

Tags
75g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com