75G Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the trap should catch all the bubble from the skimmer section to the return section.

However, there is no trap from the fuge section to the return section and you are dumping water from the DT into that section too. Can you close that valve for a test to see if the micro bubbles go away?
That's all I can think of

I tried closing that valve, but (surprisingly) it didn't seem to help. I put a filter pad across the divider between the fuge and the return - that seemed to really help. But I still don't know why shutting off water to the fuge didn't work.

Caribbean vs Fiji Rock

Getting ready to order my LR. LiveAquaria.com sells Fiji rock and Caribbean rock. The Caribbean rock is lighter and it looks like I can buy less. They recommend 0.75-1.25 lbs per gallon for Caribbean versus 1.25-1.75 lbs per gallon for Fiji rock. Does anyone have any experience with Caribbean rock, or any suggestions?

Cycling and the Cleanup Crew

My LR should be here Wed or Thu next week, and I'm going to get a scoop of sand from a friend's tank. To make sure I have the steps right:

(1) Rinse the LR in SW, pick off any dead stuff. Because I have nothing in my tank except dead rock I can put the LR directly in the tank and let it cure there. I should leave the lights off but keep the skimmer and PHs running.
(2) Test water every day. Ammonia will start to rise in a couple of days, peaking in a week or so. Nitrite levels will rise as ammonia starts to drop. After a few weeks ammonia should be non-existent, nitrite should start to drop, nitrate should start to rise.
(3) Perform partial water changes every week.
(4) When ammonia and nitrite are basically zero the cycle is done.

Is all of that correct? Will I see an algae bloom when the ammonia starts to spike?

When do I add the clean-up crew? After the cycle is done?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to make sure I know what to expect.

Sounds like a plan. You probably won't see much algae until after the cycle, when your nitrates are in constant production. Make sure you do a nice big PWC after the cycle to get the initial nitrates down.

Don't add the clean up crew until you have something for them to clean up. The last thing you want is a clean tank and hungry critters.. You'll end up with less critters that way :)

Thanks CaptainAhab! The question is, Is it a good plan? ;)

Another question: I just picked up a new heater to replace a really old one I've been using that wasn't doing the job. Should I put it in my sump, or put it in the tank. I'd rather put it in the sump to keep it hidden.

Water Test

Did a water test today: SG = 1.024, pH = 8.2, Ammonia = 0.5, Nitrite & Nitrate = 0. As I expected, except the Ammonia. All I've got in the tank is dry rock and "live sand" from the LFS (so I doubt it's live).

Also, do test kits expire??? I've had this one for over 5 years. Thanks.

Did a water test today: SG = 1.024, pH = 8.2, Ammonia = 0.5, Nitrite & Nitrate = 0. As I expected, except the Ammonia. All I've got in the tank is dry rock and "live sand" from the LFS (so I doubt it's live).

Also, do test kits expire??? I've had this one for over 5 years. Thanks.

Yes you can put your heater in your sump to hide it. and Yes test kits expire. I am SURE yours have if they are 5 years old. Time to pick up some new ones. All you really need to start are pH, amonia, no2, no2, later calcium.

Live Rock Added Today!

Live rock arrived today. Rinsed it off and picked off the dead stuff. Finished the aquascaping and I think it looks good. Everything is pretty solid, either braced against a base rock embedded in the sand or braced against the back of the tank. I have 50 lbs of dead rock and 50 lbs of LR. Disappointed I didn't find any critters (yet). Comments appreciated. :cool:

Day 1, 28 Oct 09.jpg

nice tank, im in the cycling stage of my tank also. my water was very dusty or whatever for less than 1 day :) i <3 my filter lol.. anyways i hope your tanks goes well! :)..

i enjoy looking at my fishless tank while its cycling i have some little brittleworm and filter feeders its cool how much life would be on a rock.

Thanks! Yea, I like looking at the tank when it's empty too. I put some fliter material in my overflow and it cleaned out the sand storm pretty quick. The water is much clearer this morning. And my skimmer is doing it's thing. Now I just have to be patient :).

Did a water test tonight:

ph = 8.0
Ammonia = 8.0
Nitrite = 1.0
Nitrate = 5.0
SG = 1.021
Temp = 78.3F

Looks like the cycle has started.

Question: Can I add plants to my refugium now? A friend says yes, it will help with nitrates and phosphate. A friend says I should add Caulerpa and Chaeto. What do you think?

Also going to add some carbon to my sump.

I need to catch up on this, as I am now starting the process for my 75G SW conversion from FW.
Looks to be an interesting read, right from the first page.

Not sure how interesting it really is, but I've gotten some good advice so far. I just ordered a light for my fuge (5100K compact fluorescent floodlight recommended by melevsreef.com). And I'm putting the display tank lights on a timer today.

Are you kidding?
This is like a guide, it's great.
I've picked up some great pointers, I just have no room for a sump, and I have a little one that gets into EVERYTHING.

Back
Top Bottom