75G Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure how interesting it really is, but I've gotten some good advice so far. I just ordered a light for my fuge (5100K compact fluorescent floodlight recommended by melevsreef.com). And I'm putting the display tank lights on a timer today.

I'm using that same light in my fuge with cheao. I replaced another CF fixture. The cheato has grown so much faster with the new light. Best part was it cost me under $20 :)

Still trying to figure out the timing of the lights, and how to hook them together. I'm thinking:

Acitinics: 11am-9pm
Daylights: 12pm-8pm
Moon & Fuge: 9pm-11am

I got a Coralife powerstrip that has day/night settings, but I can't fit all the plugs in it because the outlets are too close together. Looks like another trip to Home Depot.

Need Some Help

Water test again today. Pics and my interpretations of the colors are below. I sometimes have trouble matching the colors in the tube with the colors on the sheet (kind of like shirts, ties, and jackets). Any help (on the test tube colors, not shirts and ties - get enough of that from my wife and kids ;)) appreciated.

Temp = 78.6
SG = 1.021

Ammonia = 8.0+
Ammonia.jpg
pH = 8.4
pH.jpg
Nitrite = 1.0
Nitrite.jpg
Nitrate = 10
Nitrate.jpg

What is this?

One other question: I found this "thing" sticking out the back of one of the live rocks. It's a bad pic (I'll try to get a better one later), but any idea what it is?
1st Thing Growing.jpg

That ammonia is almost off the chart. How long has it been there and remind me how you're cycling. How much rock, etc too.

Also, I wouldn't even worry about the ph and nitrate right now. That ammonia is something!!! And whatever it is in that pic is gonna die if not already IMO with that ammonia so high.

Austinsdad, the ammonia is actually more green than the pic shows, so it may not be as bad as it could be. I added 45 lbs of LR last Wed, Oct 28; I already had 50 lbs of dry rock. Parameters were good before that (Ammonia was 0.5) but it was an old test kit so idk. I tested the water the next night (24 hrs after adding the rock) and Ammonia was already at 8, but I don’t think the test was as dark green as it is now (if that makes sense). All I'm doing for cycling is adding the LR, no shrimp or anything else. When the ammonia spiked I figured the shrimp was kind of overkill. I'll test the water again tonight.

Also, any ideas on how to make the water clearer???

Thought about any of the Coralife timer power strips?
Aquarium Light Timers: Coralife Power Center Your lighting schedule sounds good. heck I'd even start it later in order to look at my fish past 9pm. Also, you can leave the lights on totally while cycling.

Didja just put the rock in or didja do the soft scrub brush rinse first? If you didn't, maybe the very high ammonia is a result of the excess debris from the rock - which might make it cloudy too. You got a powerhead running in there? Skimmer running yet?

i left my lights on during cycling so i can have a quick look at my rocks and maybe find some hitchhikers but you can totally just leave it off during the cycling.. but your timer looks good. i usually just turn on my lights whenever i wake up 7-10am and turn it off around 7-10pm then moonlight while i sleep XD

Thought about any of the Coralife timer power strips?
Aquarium Light Timers: Coralife Power Center Your lighting schedule sounds good. heck I'd even start it later in order to look at my fish past 9pm. Also, you can leave the lights on totally while cycling.

Didja just put the rock in or didja do the soft scrub brush rinse first? If you didn't, maybe the very high ammonia is a result of the excess debris from the rock - which might make it cloudy too. You got a powerhead running in there? Skimmer running yet?

I tried one of the Coralife strips but the two timed ON outlets can't be set to different times, and the space between the outlets isn't big enough to handle the converters and the regular outlets from my lights. (I'll send a pic tonight from home; can't do it from work :rolleyes:.) I ended up with two digital two-outlet timers from Home Depot and the Coralife strip. Seems to work okay. I may end up keeping the lights on later, depends on how late I stay up (but I get up at 5 am so I usually call it a night by 10). Maybe I'll just change it for the weekends.

I rinsed the rock pretty heavily (I thought) in SW and blew it off with a turkey baster. Maybe I'll take it out and scrub it tonight. Just to make sure everything is off.

The live rocks have been in the tank since Wed afternoon. The only thing dead or dying is whatever die off from the LR.

I checked Xtalreef. I think the thing growing out of my LR is a Digitate Hydroid. It looks like it's dying but I'll pull it off anyway.

Turned a corner?

I think the cycle is working. Came home today and the water is much clearer. Did a water test: Ammonia is down to 4.0 (or so) and nitrites are on the rise (looks like around 5.0). Also noticed green spots on the dry rock. I assume it's algae. Took some pics:

Full Tank Shot
Full Tank Shot.jpg

Something growing or alive on the LR. It's orange on the inside but you can't really tell from the pic.
Another Thing in Tank.jpg

Another thing that might be alive?
One More Thing in Tank.jpg

This is the first living thing that I found a couple days ago. I think it's dead, but I'll pull it off tomorrow when I do a PWC.
Thing in Tank.jpg

Don't add the CUC until the cycle is finished. The ammonia and nitrite needs to be at zero.

Also, the PWC you're planning tomorrow will extend the cycle time. I'd let it ride until finished, then do a PWC, test in a day or two, and if all is fine, then add a small CUC.

yeah do what austindad says. after your cycle is completed then youll need to do a major 30% Water change then youll be slaving that for weeks on end :)..

Another question: What is a drip system for acclimating new arrivals? Now that I'm getting close - and trying to be patient - to adding livestock to the tank, I want to make sure I have the system ready to receive them. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom