75G Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Small tube in the main. Suction from there to the container holding the new additions already in the water of their origin. Tie a not if needed to get a drop or two every second. Empty the container with the new livestock halfway when full and continue dripping.

Add the new fish to the new tank and do not include the water.

Also, maybe buy one of these??? Pisces Pro Acclimator

Thanks Ray. I did some reading after my post and pretty much have it figured out. I'll probably DIY it - airline tubing and a gate valve is about it.

i use a bottle that has a little tiny hole in it that drips maybe a couple small drips per second lol.. pretty cheap :)...

Update...and question

Water test again tonight. Ammonia is 0. Nitrite looks like 1.0 and nitrate is 10. Cycle seems to be doing it's thing. There is also more green algae growing and some brown spots on the sand. I assume the brown spots are some type of brown algae. Is that right? Anyway, seems like progress is being made. :D

i take a needle and poke the bag once. this allows faster acclimation and less stress while still acclimating the fish to the water temperature

CUC Question

Has anybody used the reef cleaner packages from reefscavengers.com? Their 75G package includes:

75 nassarius snails
40 netrite snails
35 blue/white leg hermit crabs
15 scarlet reef hermit crabs
4 porcelain crabs
4 emerald crabs
2 sally lightfoot crabs
2 peppermint shrimp
2 serpent starfish

Price is $169 with free shipping. I'm not ordering it yet but want soon.

nope ill start with just a few you dont want to add too many at once or your bio load will be huge also they have to be deef and their isnt that much food source for them yet

+1 also when u add fish u dont want to add more than 3 at the most at once and if u add u shoukd wait atleast another week and a half to add more you wanna take ur time

Ready to add fish?

Sorry for not posting for a while, been waiting on the tank to cycle. Here's where I am: Ammonia and Nitrite are 0, Nitrate is 20-40. Did a 10G water change tonight (75G tank). Two weeks ago I got a small CUC. Most animals made it through but I lost one peppermint shrimp and one serpent starfish. Livestock in the tank right now: two Sally Lightfoot crabs, one Emerald crab, one Porcelain crab, one Serpent star, a bunch of blue/white leg Hermit crabs, one or two red leg Hermit crabs, a bunch of Nerite snails, and a bunch of Nassarius snails. All seem to be doing well. There is also some hair algae growign but not too much.

I think I'm ready to add fish. I was thinking 3-4 Pajama Cardinalfish and maybe a feather duster or two. Are they hardy enough to add now? Thanks.

Adding the PJ's should be fine, but I would go with 5. They should to be in odd numbered groups of 3 or more. Pretty hardy little guys. On a 75g, 5 of them will barely put a dent in your bioload. Feather duster should be fine too.

Thanks. LFS has a bunc. Of PJs - at least 5 that I've been watching that look good. And the feather dusters look good, too. I'll pick them up to tomorrow.

Feather dusters are filter feeders and should be fine, but you can add some phyto plankton that you find in a bottle next to all the buffers and supplements in your LFS. The PJ's will eat just about anything. I have mine eating a mix of pellets and a variety of frozen foods.

Back
Top Bottom