Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad & Matt View Post
Not sure how interesting it really is, but I've gotten some good advice so far. I just ordered a light for my fuge (5100K compact fluorescent floodlight recommended by melevsreef.com). And I'm putting the display tank lights on a timer today.
I'm using that same light in my fuge with cheao. I replaced another CF fixture. The cheato has grown so much faster with the new light. Best part was it cost me under $20

Old 10-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Regular

Still trying to figure out the timing of the lights, and how to hook them together. I'm thinking:

Acitinics: 11am-9pm
Daylights: 12pm-8pm
Moon & Fuge: 9pm-11am

I got a Coralife powerstrip that has day/night settings, but I can't fit all the plugs in it because the outlets are too close together. Looks like another trip to Home Depot.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Regular

Need Some Help

Water test again today. Pics and my interpretations of the colors are below. I sometimes have trouble matching the colors in the tube with the colors on the sheet (kind of like shirts, ties, and jackets). Any help (on the test tube colors, not shirts and ties - get enough of that from my wife and kids ) appreciated.

Temp = 78.6
SG = 1.021

Ammonia = 8.0+
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ammonia.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	21316
pH = 8.4

Name:	pH.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	21312
Nitrite = 1.0

Name:	Nitrite.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	21313
Nitrate = 10

Name:	Nitrate.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	21314
Old 10-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is this?

One other question: I found this "thing" sticking out the back of one of the live rocks. It's a bad pic (I'll try to get a better one later), but any idea what it is?

Name:	1st Thing Growing.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	21317
Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #45
AA Team Emeritus

That ammonia is almost off the chart. How long has it been there and remind me how you're cycling. How much rock, etc too.

Also, I wouldn't even worry about the ph and nitrate right now. That ammonia is something!!! And whatever it is in that pic is gonna die if not already IMO with that ammonia so high.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Regular

Austinsdad, the ammonia is actually more green than the pic shows, so it may not be as bad as it could be. I added 45 lbs of LR last Wed, Oct 28; I already had 50 lbs of dry rock. Parameters were good before that (Ammonia was 0.5) but it was an old test kit so idk. I tested the water the next night (24 hrs after adding the rock) and Ammonia was already at 8, but I don’t think the test was as dark green as it is now (if that makes sense). All I'm doing for cycling is adding the LR, no shrimp or anything else. When the ammonia spiked I figured the shrimp was kind of overkill. I'll test the water again tonight.

Also, any ideas on how to make the water clearer???
Old 11-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #47
AA Team Emeritus

Thought about any of the Coralife timer power strips?
Aquarium Light Timers: Coralife Power Center Your lighting schedule sounds good. heck I'd even start it later in order to look at my fish past 9pm. Also, you can leave the lights on totally while cycling.

Didja just put the rock in or didja do the soft scrub brush rinse first? If you didn't, maybe the very high ammonia is a result of the excess debris from the rock - which might make it cloudy too. You got a powerhead running in there? Skimmer running yet?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Regular

i left my lights on during cycling so i can have a quick look at my rocks and maybe find some hitchhikers but you can totally just leave it off during the cycling.. but your timer looks good. i usually just turn on my lights whenever i wake up 7-10am and turn it off around 7-10pm then moonlight while i sleep XD
Old 11-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Thought about any of the Coralife timer power strips?
Aquarium Light Timers: Coralife Power Center Your lighting schedule sounds good. heck I'd even start it later in order to look at my fish past 9pm. Also, you can leave the lights on totally while cycling.

Didja just put the rock in or didja do the soft scrub brush rinse first? If you didn't, maybe the very high ammonia is a result of the excess debris from the rock - which might make it cloudy too. You got a powerhead running in there? Skimmer running yet?
I tried one of the Coralife strips but the two timed ON outlets can't be set to different times, and the space between the outlets isn't big enough to handle the converters and the regular outlets from my lights. (I'll send a pic tonight from home; can't do it from work .) I ended up with two digital two-outlet timers from Home Depot and the Coralife strip. Seems to work okay. I may end up keeping the lights on later, depends on how late I stay up (but I get up at 5 am so I usually call it a night by 10). Maybe I'll just change it for the weekends.

I rinsed the rock pretty heavily (I thought) in SW and blew it off with a turkey baster. Maybe I'll take it out and scrub it tonight. Just to make sure everything is off.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Regular

And I've got two PHs running and the skimmer is doing it's thing.

Tags
75g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com