75G Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
also what you can do is just get regular mysis or brine and you can add zoe, vitamin c garlic and fuel™ twice a week to help it grow faster and some zooplankton or fetoplankton or how ever it is spelled and like that you get vitamins not only for corals but fish aswell

Sorry for lack of updates. Tank is doing well (although I lost an emerald crag the othe day) just haven't had time to post anything. I'm thinking the next fish I add will be clownfish or a tang. How do I find a mated pair of clownfish? The LFS has a bunch of them in one tank, but I can't tell if any appear to be mated. And, do I need to add the anemone at the same time if I want them to "live in" it?

They are fine without an anemone. Just get one that is bigger than the other. The smaller one will be the male and the bigger one will be the female. They may become a mated pair after a considerable amount of time (1 year+), doesn't really matter though IMO.

+1 and ill wait on the anemone atleast 8 to 12 months if you really want it, ill add the tang later they are semi aggressive and clowns even tho they can ve aggressive too they are on the nicer side too!!!

So if I add the clownfish now, without the anemone, when I do add the anemone they will hopefully live in it, right?

And can someone explain what the diatom bloom is? All of a sudden my tank is growing a lot of brown algae again. Not sure why. I think my pH is too high (8.6) so I'd doing some water changes to bring it down. And my nerite snails are starting to come out in the daytime (they used to hide in the overflow all day and only come out after the lights were off).

"Hopefully" is the key word there. The clown may or may not host it. Good luck!

P.S. - Abraham used a period in the post above! Actually, 2 of them:shocked!::multi: There's hope for you yet, dude. ;)

Still having diatom problems but the snails are slowly taking care of it. And I saw my serpent star today for the first time in weeks. :)

Going to the LFS tomorrow to look at clowns. Assuming I can get out of the driveway, that is. Been snowing for 24 hours, two feet already and still coming down.

Refugium Question

So right now my refugium has a bunch of chaeto in it. What else could/should I add to it? Should I put a couple snails down there? Crabs? LR rubble?

I liked crabs in mine. Emerald green or small hermits. Definitely LR rubble.

You just have chaeto and that's all? I did about an inch and a half of Miracle Mud, topped off with a half inch of sand, and LR rubble. The sides will get kinda cruddy after a while and viewing won't be as easy, but I'd just scape it once. I also put an urchin down there when I found it as a hitch hiker in my main.

This is how I started my fuge. :p Even had a featherduster there. I just loved the notion of having all that life down there. But after a while, it got crowded after I threw everything I didn't want in my main down there.

Attachments

• Sept 16 06 tank 023.jpg
    Sept 16 06 tank 023.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 79
Thanks Ray. I've got chaeto and about 3" of "live" sand but nothing else. If I put crabs down there, do I have to feed them? I'll have to find somewhere to get LR rubble. And, do I have to cure it separately?

Test Kits?

Right now all I'm testing for is Ammonia, pH, Nitrite, and Nitrate. What else should I test? Phophate? Calcium? Carbonate? And any recommendations on test kits? Thanks.

If you go grab the API Reef Master test kit, you have the main parameters that need to be tested in a reef setup along with ammonia, ph, nitrite and nitrate from your other test kit. HTH.

There'll be plenty of food that runs thru the overflow to the fuge. They'll get plenty of food without any extra from you.

Ray, two questions: I turn my return pump off when I feed. Will I still get enough food into the fuge to feed a couple of crabs? Also, if I add LR rubble to the fuge, do I need to cure it separately, or is there enough bacteria in the tank now to handle the inevitable die off if I put it straight into the tank? I'm thinking about 10 lbs of LR rubble, maybe more. (My tank has 40 lbs of LR and 70 lbs of dry rock. It's been up for about 3 months.)

I never turned my main off when feeding. Why do you do that? Try just turning the powerheads off when feeding instead.

If you think they'll starve, add a couple of pellets to the sump for'm to eat on. Add rubble slowly and test for ammonia. Should be OK, but test to be sure. If there's a lot of die off on the rock, there may be problems, otherwise I'm guessing you'll be OK to add the entire 10 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom