75g set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missbrett

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be setting up a 75G SW Tank in March (once into new home) but am trying to slowly buy all the equipment I am going to be needing so i don't have to buy it all at once when I move and want to get things set up. What all would i need for a 75G SW Tank set up? The only thing i have as of right now if the 75G tank and a 30G tank (not sure if this would be useful, but I noticed in a few threads that some people have a smaller tank under the larger one, not exactly sure why tho.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated :thanks:

Nice, are the tanks drilled?I mean if there are holes on the glass panel.

No. Is that bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No is not bad ...
So the tank is not a reef ready, means you have to get an hang on back overflow box... Well I use one of those, nothing wrong with them, but honestly my next tank will be reef ready,cause my overflow lost syphoning when I was away, and that was not funny..... That's why now I recommend an internal overflow IMO....

Could I get holes drilled in mine or is the overflow over the back the only option for one with no hole drilled already. If so do you know if it is it expensive to get the holes drilled?

And other then the overflow box what else would I be needing?

You can contact the manufacture and ask about drilling holes in tank, you have to make sure the glass is not tempered, if glass is tempered you can only use the hang on back. You need a sump, a return pump, lights,skimmer,power heads and a heater for hardware.....also for 75 g you need like 1 pound per gallon of live rock and some live sand,the sand is up to you, I know people with bare bottoms, shallow sand bed and deep sand bed.
What are you planning, fish only with live rock or coral ?

If it is not tempered you can easily drill yourself! I did my return and 2 overflows is a couple hours no problem! If your at all handy with a drill

They rarely temper the sides of a tank. It's usually the bottom pane. You can drill it yourself with ease. These people- Overflow Kits - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff
sell everything you need including the bit. They even have step by step instructions and videos.

As for components, what type of tank is this going to be? A reef or a fish only? If ti's a reef you'll need some strong lighting. If not, any lighting will do.

It's a 75gal Bow Front. I want some live rock and some coral but not tons. I was thinking of building up the two sides and have the middle wide open or the opposite and have rock in the middle and have the two sides opened up for free swimming space. I am open to any other ideas as well . I'm not sure if there are better set ups that are better then what I was thinking.

Fish are what I want to be the main focus, but I do really like some of the corals. As long as the fish I chose are okay with some reef

Agree with mr_x about Glass Cages. The caveat to getting items from them is that you'll keep the bit so future projects are always a possibility. I have plans to drill a tank someday as well. I found this but haven't ventured far enough to know if it's for real or not. http://www.salt-city.org/showthread.php?9542-How-to-tell-if-glass-is-tempered.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Glass holes, not glass cages ;). Pretty interesting link!

Besides adding an overflow, you will need a sump. I suggest buying the largest tank you can fit inside the stand, and partitioning that into sections depending on what components you will want in there.
You'll also need a return pump, to send water from the sump back to the display. A "Quiet One 4000" or a "Danner Magdrive 9.5" should be plenty.
A protein skimmer is a good investment, and will help keep the water clean. Measure the inside of your stand so I know what tank you'll be able to fit in there, so i can suggest a good skimmer.
Lighting- two of these
New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Grow Light US | eBay
Or two of these-
Aquastar 165W Dimmable LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum Reef Coral Fish Marine | eBay
Will work perfectly for whatever corals you intend to keep.

Glass holes, not glass cages ;). Pretty interesting link!

Argh !!! My phone hates me and thank you for the correction. ? With 11 tanks laying around, I have yet to try the instructions in the link. Unless someone else beats me to it in the near future ?.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I have a 75 fowlr (fish only with live rock). Here is a list of what I have running mine.

Display tank:
Cpr over flow cr90
2 circulation pumps rated at 900gph
100+pounds of live rock
I used 2-50lb bags of pool filter sand for substrate .
Metal halides for lighting, but currently switching to led lighting from usa current
I have a wisper filter that I run with filters only.

Sump:
20 gal tank
Two sections.
1st, bio balls this is were the display tank water enters. I have it going through a filter pad then trickling over the bio balls.

2nd
I just have live rock, two heaters ( incase one would fail) thermometer, and my return pump with is a 800gpm pump.

My system works good for me I would like to upgrade my sump to include a protien skimmer and maybe some miracle mud with chaeto

Hope this helps out somewhat

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 75 fowlr (fish only with live rock). Here is a list of what I have running mine.

Display tank:
Cpr over flow cr90
2 circulation pumps rated at 900gph
100+pounds of live rock
I used 2-50lb bags of pool filter sand for substrate .
Metal halides for lighting, but currently switching to led lighting from usa current
I have a wisper filter that I run with filters only.

Sump:
20 gal tank
Two sections.
1st, bio balls this is were the display tank water enters. I have it going through a filter pad then trickling over the bio balls.

2nd
I just have live rock, two heaters ( incase one would fail) thermometer, and my return pump with is a 800gpm pump.

My system works good for me I would like to upgrade my sump to include a protien skimmer and maybe some miracle mud with chaeto

Hope this helps out somewhat

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow thanks!! That's great, it helps out a lot!!

Back
Top Bottom