Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

90 gal Damsel tank--filtration needs?

Fairly soon i want to go with a 90 gal Damsel tank, 6 months after its aged i want a flame angel( they have to be the prettiest fish out there) I have a HOB filter(whisper 5) Any other ideas for Filtration. I would like to put some live rock in there, as it would make a more natural looking tank. But i dont want a tank full of rock either.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to IworkatPSP
You could pick up a Diatom Filter, Vortex brand works extremely well at keeping water crystal clear. Only downside is they are around 75-100 bucks.

As for LR, in a 90g you would have an immense amount of room for rock placement. I only have about 40lbs or LR in my 30g and it still looks scarce.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was hoping for a few more responses..PLEASE!! What is everybody using? Is it just liverock powerhead and canister?
Turbo-Twist 6x UV sterilizer 18W bulb
18 Watt Triton bulb

10 Gal Freshwater QT tank
3 Gal Fry tank

90 Gal Saltwater tank(coming soon)
cougaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Well, as you probibly know, Damsels make poor community members. I have seen them kill several Ocellaris Clowns in the tanks at the LFS. So I would highly recommend you stay away from damsels.

As far as filtration goes, YOu will want a Skimmer, and of-course Live Rock. Many people go with a Wet Dry Filtration system on their tanks, but that is kinda being phased out for more favorable methods.

Your current HOB filter will not be nearly powerful enough. If you don't want to have alot of live rock, (and thats understandable, because your looking at about 500-600 bucks to do it right) I would recommend a large canister filter, the largest you can find. (about 200-250 bucks) I have a Magnum 350 on my 37 gallon that works well. I would not recomend anything smaller than that.

You will also want to be able to push around the water pretty good. dead spots are not good in a SW tank. Look at investing in about 3 good powerheads. (maxi-jet 1200)

Of course don't forget the skimmer! A good protien skimmer works wonders to remove alot of the gunk. The Aqua C Remora is a great skimmer for a tank that size. (170.00ish)

thats about all I can think of right now...feel free to ask more questions.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

WetDry systems are being phased out for what types of more favorable filtration? The real benefit I can see of wet dry system is for somewhere to throw everything there instead of in the tank..I mean basically if you have LR and a deep sand bed in the tank with powerheads hitting them, essentially they are doing the same thing as in the bottom of some of these wet/dry filters right?.
I was definately thinking about strong powerheads as when i have gone snorkeling and have seen the rough water and the damsels darting about business as usual. 3 sounds like a good number.
I want to go with fish too but mainly because damsel are hardy and are a good place to get back into SW. Also coming from a cichlids background i dont mind damsels.
Turbo-Twist 6x UV sterilizer 18W bulb
18 Watt Triton bulb

10 Gal Freshwater QT tank
3 Gal Fry tank

90 Gal Saltwater tank(coming soon)
cougaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
wet/drys are being replaced with sumps and fuges. which are really just wet/drys with all of the bio-media removed. Most people have a large sump where they hide their skimmers and heaters, and a fuge they fill with sand, LR and some sort of Macro Algea such as Cheato to help keep micro algea at bay.

Just be aware that damsels are quite vicious. You will need to take this into consideration when choosing future tankmates.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree don't rush to damsels. There are alot of other easy to care for fish.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

All damsels are bad except Chromis.....
Old 04-14-2005, 09:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Damsels sure get a bad rap here... I have two in my tank with a Flash (carpenter's wrasse) and they are doing fine. Damsels are known to be aggressive and territorial (especially the white and black striped and the devil). Overall I believe damsels to be ok fish if you are careful as to what you place in with them (as is the case with any fish). You wouldn't want to put some angel fish in with your prize corals would you?
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

This might have been asked many times before. But what should go into the canister filter? I don't want to have alot of LR round, so I currently have the usual ceramic media for biological filtering and a coarse media for mechanical filtering in my canister. People have said this may become a nitrate factory. Has anyone had any success with this kind of filtration?

Tags
damsel, filtration, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com