90 Gallon Mixed Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msl5078

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone!

I just picked up a 90 gallon tank with corner overflow off of craigslist yesterday. Spent the day improving the stand and now i'm ready to get the rest of the equipment that I need and put sand and rock in. I have a few questions on equipment and rock.

As far as equipment I have found a bunch of reef equipment on craigslist that I have been picking up on the cheap. So far I have the following:

6x54 watt T5 NovaUSA light fixture
Precision Marine RL-125 Protein Skimmer
Mag-Drive 7 return pump
DIY Calcium reactor with power head and CO2 regulator interface
DIY Phosphate and Activated Carbon reactor power by Mag-Drive 5 pump.
Wavebox
Aqualifter pump with float switch
DIY acrylic Sump with refugium with Macro-algae.

I am in the process of tracking down a RO/DI unit with a booster pump, but probably won't get that till after Christmas. I live in CT and the ocean is only about a 10 minute drive so i have been thinking about just using ocean water rather than the RO/DI option. What is your opinion on that?

I know that I need some powerheads, but i'm not sure what exactly I need.

I am looking to do DIY rock mixed with dead rock but I am unsure how you seed the rock and how exactly that all works. And can the same be applied to the sand/crushed coral?

I am not looking to add any coral for about 6 months to get everything perfect before doing so.

mike

Congrats on your new tank! I wouldn't recommend getting seawater from the ocean because there could be diseases/harmful organisms that you wouldn't want introduced into your aquarium.

Hi there! Grats on the new tank! You've acquired quite the stockpile there, some of that stuff you won't be needing for some time. lol

But anyways, I agree i wouldn't get ocean water and I live in Florida. You never know what is in it. :)

As far as powerheads, I have a 90g I am building this week and I will be using 2 koralia 750's. If youre going full on reef tank then i would say get the koralia 1400's, one for each side.

Back
Top Bottom