90 gallon plnning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juice28

Aquarium Advice Freak
wadup all? as most of you know ,i have started "reefing" almost a year now and I fell it is time for an upgrade! I am looking at a 90 gal long to make my next reef. now this is where I am stuck at...I am wanting a good filtration system yet still keep it simple...so far the sump and the DSB with Live Sand Filter (Jaubert/Plenum Filter) is looking to be the best over all. What do you all think? I am open to all suggestions where as there are like 5000 different types of filtration....A buddy has 4 emperor 400's on his 125, no sump or anything like that just the HOB filters, he isnt stocked heavy at all and his tank looks great! he does a condsiderable amount of water changes though. Im not trying to skimp on water changes but im not trying to be doing water changes every 3-5 days either....20 % of 90 is alot of water to do every 5 days...I have another friend that has a huge sump, 55 gal on his 125, LS and LR and that it for him...
Im looking for cost effectiveness and simplicity.

IMO LR and a skimmer is all you need. Plus some PH`s to blow the water around. For the first 7 yrs that`s all I had on my 55 gallon tank.

I see all the saltwater...add on's so to speak and i look at most like unnecessary components, not knocking anyone with RODI units and and things like that, i just like to keep it simple that way I can just focus on the tank instead of all of the little components and hoses and things that go wit it. THANKS MELOSU58

Actually, i would say other than the lights, the RO/DI unit would be the next most important thing to buy. This will save you from dealing with numerous accounts of algae, diatoms, and other elements in the water that could be bad for inverts/coral. Aquarist have survived for years without RO/DI unit, or RO water, but i still think it should be a priority on all SW lists.

this is my plan so far,
90 gal long,
60-80 lbs of LS(basically enough for about 2-2.5 inches of sand i think that should get it)
I currently have about 65 lbs of LR, add about 30 lbs of base rock to seed. so 90-95lbs of rock(give or take a few. IM going for volume over density)
3-5 PH's for circulation

sump?
skimmer?
ref?
sump/skimmer?

(leaning towards the skimmer, thanks melosu58, i did a lot of reading on LR, PH's and skimmer only, i may add ref later on, this is just give the tank a solid start)

If that live sand your looking at is BAGGED live sand then i would skip that. Just get dry aragonite of your choosing. Chances are whatever was in the live sand bag that was live, is now dead, considering its been on the shelves for so long.

Actually, i would say other than the lights, the RO/DI unit would be the next most important thing to buy. This will save you from dealing with numerous accounts of algae, diatoms, and other elements in the water that could be bad for inverts/coral. Aquarist have survived for years without RO/DI unit, or RO water, but i still think it should be a priority on all SW lists.

eventually id like to have one set up when it is..convient for my set up, right now im super tight on extra space, ive seen a couple RODI units set up and they are all not massive but he has like a 55 gallon drum he fills up and pumps out of when needed and it runs from his basement and all that and i just do not have that type of space

eventually id like to have one set up when it is..convient for my set up, right now im super tight on extra space, ive seen a couple RODI units set up and they are all not massive but he has like a 55 gallon drum he fills up and pumps out of when needed and it runs from his basement and all that and i just do not have that type of space

You don't have to have a huge setup for RO/DI. with a 75 gallon per day unit you are looking at about 3 gallons an hour. you could pull it out an fill up a six gallon container in about 2 hours while you were watching tv or something and have your top off water fot the week.

zero is right about the algae problems. I have experienced them first hand. they are slowly going away since I have switched over. from the picks I have seen of his setup he just "plugs" it in in his room whenever he needs water.

Back
Top Bottom