90 Gallon Reef powerheads and heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMike75

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking to order some equiptment for my 90 gallon reef tank. First should I get 2 150 watt Visi-Therm heaters, or 2 200 watt heaters. They will be going in my 55 gallon sump.

Second powerheads. I only have 1 return on the tank that is 600ish. Koralias are on sale so should I get 2 K4 that are 1200 gph and 1 K3 at 850 gph. I would put the K4s at the ends of the tank and the K3 on the back glass. Or, would it be better to get 3 K3s?

Return + 2 K4 + 1 K3 = 42.7times turnover rate.

Return + 3 K3 = 35times turnover rate.

All help would be greatly appreciated.....

I am looking to order some equiptment for my 90 gallon reef tank. First should I get 2 150 watt Visi-Therm heaters, or 2 200 watt heaters. They will be going in my 55 gallon sump.

I would go with 2 200's. some may say that is too much but you want one to be able of heat your tank if the other goes out.

Second powerheads. I only have 1 return on the tank that is 600ish. Koralias are on sale so should I get 2 K4 that are 1200 gph and 1 K3 at 850 gph. I would put the K4s at the ends of the tank and the K3 on the back glass. Or, would it be better to get 3 K3s?

Return + 2 K4 + 1 K3 = 42.7times turnover rate.

Return + 3 K3 = 35times turnover rate.

All help would be greatly appreciated.....

I sounds like you are putting together exactly the system I am planning. It depends on how your tank is set up and what you are going to put in it. There is no way I would go with the K4's unless you are going to be doing all SPS corals. LPS, polyps and mushrooms like low to moderate flow. It is best to have all kinds of areas in the tank. I would (am going to) start with 2 K3's plus the return and maybe add another in an SPS area of the tank. with the two k3's you are looking at about 25x turnover in the tank. You will also have more control of the flow with more heads.

There is only a few SPS that I would like birdsnest, cup and plate corals. It is going to be mostly softies , some LPS and just a few SPS.

There is only a few SPS that I would like birdsnest, cup and plate corals. It is going to be mostly softies , some LPS and just a few SPS.

Then just the 2 k3's or maybe just one until you get the SPS. my mushrooms and purple metalic hammer like almost no flow. I had a K3 in my 55 and had to take it out and go back to my 1200 maxijets when I added the hammer in the middle of the tank. k3's should be perfect for the 90

check out this thread that answered all my questions.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/flow-questions-119420.html

Last edited:
I'd think 2 Koralia 3's would be sufficient. 3 would be fine, too. 2 on the sides and 1 in the back to disrupt the flow a little bit.

I have 2 Koralia 3's in a 75 with a Koralia 2.

Back
Top Bottom