Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

90 gallon reef setup, new to salt

I have been in the hobby for over 20 years, but have never done sw. First I am getting the RO/DI filter from Melevsreef.com, anyone have any problems with it? I plan on getting a 90 gallon Deep Blue with corner overflow. I am working on my 30 gallon sump($20 craigslist), got the glass 1/4" baffles cut for $25. Waiting for skimmer to install. Is the Euro Reef RSA 135 large enough? I think it should be based on the Euro Reef efficiency. Kent sea salt or is cheaper mix fine? In the refugium, what is the best items to put in there? I was going to put live rockin it, but not sure what else. It is going to take time and I will not start it until I have the pieces and money saved to maintain. With that in mind, how much much dry rock to LR should I get in the tank? I am guessing 135-150 lbs. total, but not sure of the ratio, the same with sand, I usually have 3 -4 inches of substrate, but not sure and I was reading get the sand and a couple scoups of LS from the LFS to get it going. Lighting... I was thinking LEDs or a combination of LEDs vs ??? I want to have enough lighting, but obviously it is quite expensive. Thinking of using a SICCE 3 for the return pump, what size tubing? THe sump will be in the cabinet. I have read quite a bit, but the hobby and tech has changed quite a bit. Thank you in advance for the responses.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome aboard.

I have the same type tank except its a bit taller and 110 gal. One thing is the return was plumbed to a hole drilled on the opposite backside as the drain. Both overflow holes are used for the drain. That makes the draining absolutely silent.
Skimmer should be as large as possible. I have a reef octopus 2000 in mine (for up to 2000litres I think). Funny thing is I only have 1 set of baffles. The skimmer and fuge section are the same and I have no issues with bubbles.
There are 2 basic types of salt ; marine salt for fish only systems and reef salt for corals. Many people, myself included , use instant ocean. Other brands work as well.
In my fuge I have about 30 lbs rocks and a cheato ball. Cheato for nitrates and rocks for pods. I want to get a mandarin one day.
Rock ratio is completely up to you. The more live rock you start with the faster your tank will cycle. And you will sit straighter because your wallet will not have an unsightly fatness caused by excess cash. Money will be gone. The less live rock you get the fewer hitchhikers you'll get, both good and bad. You have the sand issue well in hand.
Your return should provide about 500 gph after headloss. Add 1 foot per 90 degree elbow after the pump.
Consider adding an ATO to your system as you will loos about 1 gal per day due to evaporation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3749868464.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	135746   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3339336007.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	135747  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3959718185.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	135748  

Old 12-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Forgot to mention lights. A 6 bulb T5HO would be suitable for all corals. For LEDs, be careful. Many manufacturers are selling wide band LEDs as coral LEDs. Look at the spectrum for a fluorescent actinic bulb and note the narrow band 420/460 nm peaks. A 14000k bulb is wide band so less energy is provided for the corals to consume. There are LEDs out there such as taotrinics, but don't get fooled by cheaper FOWLR lighting. Avoid Marineland LEDs for corals as they provide almost no PAR values.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Orphek Nilus 24 Inch LED Light Fixture

What about this, I know more expensive($800-900), but less to run and more life.

Otherwise, I see Aquatic Life has a T5-HO Light Fixture with 4 Lunars - ^x 54W - 48"($450 +tax), but the bulbs need to be replaced every 6 months? and at $20 x 6 ($120) .
Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiTank View Post
I have been in the hobby for over 20 years, but have never done sw. First I am getting the RO/DI filter from Melevsreef.com, anyone have any problems with it? I plan on getting a 90 gallon Deep Blue with corner overflow. I am working on my 30 gallon sump($20 craigslist), got the glass 1/4" baffles cut for $25. Waiting for skimmer to install. Is the Euro Reef RSA 135 large enough? I think it should be based on the Euro Reef efficiency. Kent sea salt or is cheaper mix fine? In the refugium, what is the best items to put in there? I was going to put live rockin it, but not sure what else. It is going to take time and I will not start it until I have the pieces and money saved to maintain. With that in mind, how much much dry rock to LR should I get in the tank? I am guessing 135-150 lbs. total, but not sure of the ratio, the same with sand, I usually have 3 -4 inches of substrate, but not sure and I was reading get the sand and a couple scoups of LS from the LFS to get it going. Lighting... I was thinking LEDs or a combination of LEDs vs ??? I want to have enough lighting, but obviously it is quite expensive. Thinking of using a SICCE 3 for the return pump, what size tubing? THe sump will be in the cabinet. I have read quite a bit, but the hobby and tech has changed quite a bit. Thank you in advance for the responses.
Well welcome

Lr and ls is typically recommended at 1-2 lbs per gallon.

3-4" of sand is getting into deep sand bed territory (dsb fr short) and is a widely debated subject do a search.

Most people (myself included) are running sumps with lr and/or sand and/or algae (like cheato).

Have not used melevs system but haven't heard anything bad.

Salt is widely debated.

The tubing size will be determined by what you want your gph to be draining and will be determined by your return gph.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you. what salt works for you?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great that you entered the saltwater hobby! Kent salt has been known to build up the calcium levels, but a great salt. I use Red Sea Pro coral salt and have had great results (although I don't have anything to compare to that I've used). I have a 3" sand bed and don't have problems, plus if you want a wrasse it's a good amount to have for when they feel threatened and seek refuge. Seems like most people answered the other questions.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just started my tank and am using kent reef salt.

Most of my "knowledge" at this point has been via research.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiTank View Post
I use reefcrystals for salt chaeto for fuge with small bits of lr for growing pods for coral especially sps 30-50 times turnover as far as flow in dt biggest skimmer possible flow thru sump should be rated lower than skimmer i like dsb but you need snails or sand dwellers to keep it stirred or it can build up nutrients for lighting i use 120w leds 1lb of liverock per gallon is sufficient but also depends on rock density but more is merrier you want good flow thru rock so not so much that its cluttered
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

It may be a 100 gallon good price on a tank with the overflow in the middle and the return is hidden as well.

Tags
90 gallon, gallon, reef, salt, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com