90 gallon reef starting up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColBen112

Aquarium Advice Activist
Starting up my 90 gallon reef it's my second reef tank going to be posting picture from the being doing all the plumbing on the sump and all the equipment. Going to be running a reef octopus 150 starting off with live sand and some live rock from my other tank. I'm also using a hydroponics 8 bulb fixture excited to see how this light turns out as well. Pretty excited I might have some questions about the sump soon so any help on that will be greatly appreciated.

Thats awesome man! Hope it turns out great. I started out with 3 smaller reef tanks and consolidated them into my present 90gal and it has been my best/favorite tank so far. Looking forward to some progress pics. Best of luck to ya!

First day I got the tank and stand in place and I was looking through my fuse box to make sure I'm not going to blow any fuses just to make sure I have a electrician coming this weekend to check so I haven't started the plumbing yet I will start that Tomorrow here is a update picture

Attachments

• image-1984563204.jpg
    image-1984563204.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image-2347827475.jpg
    image-2347827475.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 143
Day three I started the pluming a little bit. I am thinking of getting a 20 gallon long and putting it under the tank my question is do they have dividers that require no gluing or anything or is it pretty much u have to cut to size and silicone? Here is some of the picture from today

Attachments

• image-3759443491.jpg
    image-3759443491.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 170
  • image-4122257385.jpg
    image-4122257385.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 128
You should take the time to cut and silicone the baffles in. Be sure to use aquarium safe silicone. Is that the sump you are going to use or are you going with a DIY?

I bought this tank off my buddy with the sump in the picture but idk it seams really small for a 90 gallon and where I want to put my pump and my protein skimmer it seems like I won't have enough room I would lol to put the reef octopus 150 in my sump by my chamber for my skimmer measures only like 1ft by 10 inches so extremely small. What do you feel the appropriate size for a sump on tho big of a tank would be

The bigger the sump the better. It would be ideal to make one as big as you can fit in the stand while still having enough access room to get equipment in and out of it and perform maintenance. Mine came with a 40g sump which is a good amount of room. Also, your baffles should be whatever your sump is. So if your sump is a glass tank then you should be using glass baffles and vice versa with acrylic.

I'm following. I just got my 90 going this week.

Nice you going with a sump as well I'm gonna go pick up a glass tank about 30 gallons or so and make a DIY sump looking forward to this reef.

If It helps any with deciding on sump size. I have a 110 with a 33 gallon sump. I wish I had used a 40. Reason being in a power outage my sump wont hold the back flow from the tank. I had to put a check valve in line twith the sump so it will hold the water back. I am realy considering a rebuild on my sump because of this. If that check valve fails and I am not home I am going to have alot of water in my floor.

Sump is good to go I ordered me protein skimmer today reef octopus 150 water is in cycling live sand I also have my new hydroponics light that has been converted to a reef light picture are going to be posted soon I have a six bulb t5 ho looking awesome now we begin the cycle lol

New pics

Attachments

• image-3146543914.jpg
    image-3146543914.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2839247993.jpg
    image-2839247993.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3619649863.jpg
    image-3619649863.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 110
Well the cycle begins adding some live rock in the next couple days the tank is looking clearer every day the sump is working protein skimmer is being installed in the next couple days also getting a reef octopus 150 pretty excited for that. Has anyone had any problems with that skimmer that I should know about.

Well the cycle begins adding some live rock in the next couple days the tank is looking clearer every day the sump is working protein skimmer is being installed in the next couple days also getting a reef octopus 150 pretty excited for that. Has anyone had any problems with that skimmer that I should know about.

Reef Octopus is the bomb! I havent seen one better. Even my 2 LFS uses the Reef Octopus skimmers on their main systems. I have a Reef Octopus on one of my tanks and a cheap knock off version of one on another set up. The cheap one is goin to get replaced with the real deal because it dont work even close to what the Octopus does.

That's why I like to hear haha it should be here in the mail the next couple days pretty excited.

I got the skimmer today tank is cycling well also here are the results ammonia has started to drop so we are getting there.

Attachments

• image-4263471020.jpg
    image-4263471020.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 55
Can you run a protein skimmer while cycling? I wouldn't see why not but if any body has in put on that tanks.

You don't want to remove nutrients from the water right now. i would not run the protein skimmer or the light during the cycle.

Cycle is now completed. Doing a water change tomorrow hopefully picking up some base rock my LFS has been out of base rock for a month. Looking at maybe getting a couple clowns n the next couple days well see. I would like to get all the base rock in first but with them being so slow on there orders I might get a couple o clowns to entertain me while I wait lol.

Back
Top Bottom